Mashing Rice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
G'day Fellas,

I am considering adding some rice to my next mash. I have only made two brews in my life, both were all grains, and I calculated extract efficiencies of around 70%. I am wondering if I were to use about 1kg of boiled rice in a grain bill of about 6kg (consisting of about 2kg JW Pils, 2kg JW p. ale and 1kg of either wheat or rye). I am wondering what the maximum efficiency is for rice? And what the obtainable values are?

I assume that these figures will vary from strain to strain so any recommendations and figures on specific strains would be appreciated.

I have had a little toruble with my past two mashes. I got a stuck mash both times. I assume this was mainly due to using too much wheat and rye, as I have read these are very sticky in the mash. Is using rice likely to effect this issue?

Thanks

Pip

It won't be that much different in terms of extract potential to rye (at least according to Beersmith). It's certainly likely to make things sticky. What filter set up do you have - braid, false bottom etc? (70% efficiency is fine for now BTW.)

What effect are you hoping to get by adding the rice? What kind of beer are you making? What gravity are you aiming for?

Pip
I am assuming that rice wont help much with the stuck mashes, being a little gluggy itself. If you are trying to make a rice pilsner or something similar, then iot wont be out of place, or if you are using it to lighten the body, it could help (though I would be more inclined to drop some of the malt). If you are looking to use it to help you filter the grain bed, I think you would be better off using rice hulls, rather than rice itself. If you describe your system, there may be something in there obvious to the more experienced grain brewers as to why you are getting stuck mashes. Starting out as an all grain brweer shows that you are keen to get into some good beers, but also means that you may not have learned the basics before taking the leap? I say that ONLY because you say you have made 2 batches in your life. Give us a run down on your system and procedures, and we may be able to help you better. Also include the beer style you are hoping to make by adding rice. BTW, flaked rice has a PPG of 82, or a per kg per L return of 317 (the same as pale ale malt). I can only assume that regular rice would be similar.
All the best
Trent
EDIT - That means that flaked rice can add a total of 14 points in a 23L batch, but at 70% will add about 9.5-10 points.

Just used 1kg of steamed rice in the mash for a pilsener (20% of grain bill). Worked fine - but I batch sparge, what are you doing?

Until you sort out your sticky sparges, avoid rice, wheat and rye. If you have a supply of rice gulls, then give it a go.

At this stage, if you want to thin your beers a bit (which is what the boiled rice will do) then use a bit of sugar.

G'day Fellas,

I am considering adding some rice to my next mash. I have only made two brews in my life, both were all grains, and I calculated extract efficiencies of around 70%. I am wondering if I were to use about 1kg of boiled rice in a grain bill of about 6kg (consisting of about 2kg JW Pils, 2kg JW p. ale and 1kg of either wheat or rye). I am wondering what the maximum efficiency is for rice? And what the obtainable values are?

I assume that these figures will vary from strain to strain so any recommendations and figures on specific strains would be appreciated.

I have had a little toruble with my past two mashes. I got a stuck mash both times. I assume this was mainly due to using too much wheat and rye, as I have read these are very sticky in the mash. Is using rice likely to effect this issue?

Thanks

Pip

Pip, are you batch sparging? If so is the problem with stuck sparge due to a layer of fine muck settling on top of the grain bed. Minimal stirring of the grainbed after adding sparge water can help. Too much stirring raises the fines into suspension, being lightest they settle last over the grain bed forming a fine impervious layer which can slow the lauter considerably.

Screwy

Pip,

Not sure if you want to go to the extent of a cereal mash. It sounds more difficult than it is though.

I did a rice brew just this last weekend. I wanted to try to emulate something like Budweiser. My recipe consisted of 60% Pilsner malt, 40% short grain rice (apparently best for brewing).

I did a cereal mash with the rice which is done by adding 1 part malt to 2 parts rice and 2 litres of water per kg of grain/rice mixture. This is then heated to 50 degrees. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Heat to 65 degrees and rest 20 minutes and then boil for 45 minutes. You will probably need to add a substantial amount of extra water to the mixture as the rice expands so keep some hot water handy.

Mash the rest of the malt at 50 degrees, for 30 minutes prior to the end of boiling the rice. Then add the rice mixture to the main mash. it should raise the temperature to around 65 degrees for saccharification. The rest is as per a normal mash.

I was extremely surprised with the efficiency I got using this method. BeerSmith calculated a final gravity of 1.050 and I ended up with 1.060. Sparge was unusually easy though. It seems like rice in that quantity promotes a loose grain bed.

One note with brewing with rice. If you do a cereal mash make sure you keep stirring it because it sticks and burns very easily.

Back