Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razE

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well im finally going to give AG ago and have started getting my things together! I purchased a coleman 45L rectangular esky today to mash in but after doing some research it seems the bad boy might be too big? Can i get away with it or should i cut my losses and purchase something smaller? I will only be doing batches of around 23l in my fermenter.

Thanks in advance!

nah it should be fine, i started off with one. you can use a piece of camping mat or polystyrene to sit on top of the grain to help kill some of the dead space which might help a bit with cooling losses but in saying that i never did and never had a loss of more than 1-2 degrees.

good luck

G

It'll be fine, I use a 44L esky for single batches all the time. Just get some camping mat or something like that to put over the top of the grain to help keep the heat in a bit more.

45L is a good size for single batches.

If you are lucky, you might even be able to squeeze double batches out of it.

Im thinking barley wine or Ipa,go big.

Ok great! Thanks for the responses, its very much appreciated. :beerbang: Im using a ball valve and some coper tubing with slits made in it for a filter. I have made it a simple rectangle using 90 degree benders and my question was should i go and buy a gas torch and some lead free solder and solder it together or will crimping up the ends to stop the copper tubing from floping around be ok? I know it wont be much of a seal on the fittings but i thought it probably didn't matter. Was wondering how some of you guys made yours?

Thanks again :p

Nah, you dont need to solder the manifold, maybe in a couple of places to give it structural integrity.. but thats really the only reason. The crimping should do the trick, then if you find you want it soldered, you can do it later.

Of course, I dont actually use a manifold... so if someone who does tells you different - listen to them not me :)

45L is a nice size - it gives you quite a range of flexibility. You can batch sparge, no-sparge (or if you prefer single batch sparge) or fly sparge - you have enough room for all fo those things in that eski.. and you will be able to get double batches out of it too.

Nice - have fun

TB

Just make sure you pre-heat the esky so it's up to temperature before you start, once it's walls are up to temp it will hold your mash temp well even with some dead space. I boil 2 liters of water and put in about 30 minutes before starting then I have minimal heat loss during mashing using a 50 liter esky.

should i go and buy a gas torch and some lead free solder and solder it together or will crimping up the ends to stop the copper tubing from floping around be ok

Best to just crimp it, as this will make it wasier to pull apart in future for cleaning, and this leaves more small gaps for wort to run through.

A bigger mash tun is better, allows you to make more beer!

I just centre punched mine

gallery_7556_294_389411.jpg

Back