Mash Tun Dilema

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maeldric

Reaction score
Slight problem. Myself and a few mates were going to get into all grain brewing together. Were gonna do 100L+ batches and split it between us. I stupidly bought a 200L esky to use for it. One moved away and the others have given up on the homebrew scene. I wouldnt be doing any more than a double batch for myself so there is gonna be a crap load of dead space in this thing if i go ahead with it. Is the only problem with using a vessel this large heat loss? Would it still be acceptable to use this esky for my mashtun or should i just get a smaller one and try find another use for it?

Probably too large for just doing double batches. You would end up with a pretty shallow mash (I think this can promote channeling and affect efficiency??). Heat loss would be high and you'll have a lot of empty space.

Grab a smaller esky and find a new use for this one, or find another brewing buddy!!

Cheers SJ

Slight problem. Myself and a few mates were going to get into all grain brewing together. Were gonna do 100L+ batches and split it between us. I stupidly bought a 200L esky to use for it. One moved away and the others have given up on the homebrew scene. I wouldnt be doing any more than a double batch for myself so there is gonna be a crap load of dead space in this thing if i go ahead with it. Is the only problem with using a vessel this large heat loss? Would it still be acceptable to use this esky for my mashtun or should i just get a smaller one and try find another use for it?
see if someone will buy the esky off you for what you paid for it (if it hasnt been used). then get a smaller one.
200L tun is huge for a standard double batch (i cant do a double in my 50L tun).
IMO i'd recon you'd want a smaller tun mate

why not post up an expression of interest thread on the marketplace with a desired price and see if you get any bites

You certainly want a decent grain bed depth as per other posts above. Trade down to a 50L or similar esky.

I can fly sparge double batches with my 50L easky.

Batch sparge is pushing it though.

2c.

I've got a 40lt 10 day ice retention esky with tap and manifold I want to get rid of. I used to doubles in it and fly sparge, doesen't even drop a degree over a 60 min mash. All it needs is a thermometer ;)

Latest posts

Back