Mash Temps And Finishing Gravities?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Gidday, was looking for some feedback from you guys who have brewed AG Pilseners.
A few weeks ago I brewed a 40L batch of Pils (my first) and split it between WL 833 and Wyeast 2278. The beers are going through a diacetyl rest at the moment. I measured the gravity of the beer fermented with the WL 833 today and found it to be at 1005. The grain was mashed at 64C. Is it normal to have a beer attenuate this much when mashed at lower temps?

C&B
TDA

Tell me too
Just mashed at...you guessed it 64c , similar results

Batz

That is the exact temperature for a highly fermentable wort.

And the 833 version is going to be sensational :)

Steve

I haven't mashed that low on a Pilsner, but I've just finished a diacetyl rest on one that started at 1.050 and is at 1.011 this morning also using WLP833 and mashed at 67 degC. So yours sounds about right to me.

Doc

TDA

I usually mash my pilsners at 65C and the grist is mostly Weyermann Pils. These usually end up around 1.012 (start around 1.050)

You didn't replace some of the malt with a kilo of sugar did you? <_<

Cheers
Pedro

I realise you blokes are more experienced than me but thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway :)

I brewed an AG Pilsner with the 2278 last year- Mashed @ 66 degrees, OG 1053, FG 1010.

Just out of interest, a fortnight ago I brewed an ag Aussie Pale Ale style using mainly JW Pilsener malt and recultured Coopers yeast. Mashed @ 64 degrees for 90 minutes, OG 1048, FG (bottling on Saturday) 1005. Seems logical according to everything I've read re: low mash temp = low FG and 'drier' beer which was what I was after for the style. So a 1005 FG in your brew mashed @ 64 as well tallies with my experience right or wrong :)

Shawn.

Does that also make it a thinner, more watery beer?

Certainly less body. Tastes OK atm just before bottling but will let you know. The style is not exactly 'full', from what I understand Coopers use sugar to thin the body and up the alcohol. My version has no added sugar so I thought I'd try the cooler mash temp to keep the beer drier and less full in body. I must admit I didn't expect it to get down as low as 1005 though :eek: Bit of an experiment...

Shawn.

Measured the gravity on the other Pilsener this morning and that is the same, 1005. Gunna check with refractometer next.

Darren, starting gravity was 1053.

Sugar, aha, so that's were I f*cked up, thanks Pedro :rolleyes: (TWAT)

I just hope it remains crisp when lagered, carbonated and chilled!!

Thanks for the comments/info so far gents.

C&B
TDA

I did an AG pils last year but only had WLP838 on hand, still a good alternative for a good pils. turned out to be very close to the JS pils.

I mashed at 65 dropping down to 63. Was a nice refreshing beer that even my wife wanted me to brew again! By the way it wa using Joe Whit malts. OG 1.048 Fg 1.009.

I did a pils using the WLP833 yeast, and mashed at a similar temperature. I too got good attenuation, and the end product was great (apart from some poor hopping on my part).
It had a great initial malty taste and great mouthfeel, then a pleasant dryness where the hops kicked in. I seriously recommend this yeast for a pilsner

Checked both the Pilseners on the weekend using a refractometer. One showed 6 Brix, the other showed 5.8 Brix. This corresponds to finishing gravities of 1006 and 1005 respectively.
The Pils with the WL 833 yeast is on tap and to me doesn't taste watery at all. Possibly a bit too malty for the style, however I won't be tipping it out. :p

C&B
TDA

TDA,
Did you check the gravity with a hydrometer.
Seems low to me.

Darren said:
TDA,
Did you check the gravity with a hydrometer.
Seems low to me.
Did that first and got those readings Darren, that is why I used the Refractometer.

C&B
TDA

At around 6.2% ABV you'll notice these beers after a couple of pints!

Cheers
MAH

Back