Mash Paddle 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initially after reading the style guidelines I though it was a pretty poor choice for the mash paddle but after some consideration there is plenty of room for interpretation. Very interesting that so much fore warning has been given...
Forgive me if I've misunderstood something, but isn't the mash paddle about making the best example of the style? As opposed to a really cool interpretation?

I would suspect that the large lead-up time would be to allow several iterations of a brew to be perfected.

Initially after reading the style guidelines I though it was a pretty poor choice for the mash paddle but after some consideration there is plenty of room for interpretation. Very interesting that so much fore warning has been given...

While I'm not personally a great fan of the style (I love the steam yeast strains, but that's a side matter), I think it's a good choice for the paddle. Like last year, it's not a style brewed very often in Aus, nor readily commercially available. It is a great chance for brewers to try new things.

There is usually forewarning either late the year before, or early in the year of the chosen style. It gives people time to perfect their recipe, or in the case of some styles, lager or age the beer for an extended period.

so basically its a bitter amber lager with a requirement for Northern Brewer Hop character?

I've tasted Anchor steam a couple of times and was unimpressed, but you never can tell with beers from the states, could just be lack of freshness and a good example is great.

I like me an amber lager, occasionally brew a good one. I'll have a crack.

QB, once again you have read something in to my posts that isn't there.

..isn't the mash paddle about making the best example of the style? As opposed to a really cool interpretation?

who said anything about 'a really cool' interpretation. i'm sure i could have dug up a pure academic term had i wished to be so pedantic. But after some further reflection I stand by my comment, brewing is absolutely about interpretation, whether following a style guidline or not. Belgium style beers for example are open to a wide range interpretation significantly more than just the numbers of the styleguide. Some things don't come straigh from a text book with rigid boundaries.

My intent was simply that my initial reading of the style guidelines struck me as be silightly limiting as far as the character of the style and ingredients, i.e Northern Brewer Hops specifically mensioned, yeast (white labs 820 or wyeast 2112, don't know but quite possibly the same strain). Again, brewing and fermentation control aside there does seam to be room for interpretation in the grain bill to allow the brewer to interpret the malt profile within the guide, and not just be a singular ppm assay BEST.

Only my 2c, good luck mashers, see you there in the line up again this year.

I've tasted Anchor steam a couple of times and was unimpressed, but you never can tell with beers from the states, could just be lack of freshness and a good example is great..

I've had it fresh on draught in the USA and it was still unimpressive, a nice beer no doubt, but nothing to write home about.

Still, I'll be throwing one together for it I think.

QB, once again you have read something in to my posts that isn't there.
Huh, I guess opening a post with an apology in case I was wrong and posing my thoughts as a question just isn't enough to convey the impression that I'm not ripping into someone.

My understanding (just mine) was that it was indeed about making the best example. I'll wait for perhaps Rusell to set me straight. I said "cool interpretation" to cover myself because, yes, it's always possible to interpret a style into something entirely within the guidelines, yet somehow possessing a unique quality, but once again, that is contrary to my understanding of this paricular category in ANAWBS.

A second time - sorry if I've misunderstood.

Typos can be blamed on Iphone typing on a bus.

But after some further reflection I stand by my comment, brewing is absolutely about interpretation, whether following a style guidline or not. Belgium style beers for example are open to a wide range interpretation significantly more than just the numbers of the styleguide. Some things don't come straigh from a text book with rigid boundaries.

My intent was simply that my initial reading of the style guidelines struck me as be silightly limiting as far as the character of the style and ingredients, i.e Northern Brewer Hops specifically mensioned, yeast (white labs 820 or wyeast 2112, don't know but quite possibly the same strain). Again, brewing and fermentation control aside there does seam to be room for interpretation in the grain bill to allow the brewer to interpret the malt profile within the guide, and not just be a singular ppm assay BEST.

My understanding (just mine) was that it was indeed about making the best example. I'll wait for perhaps Rusell to set me straight. I said "cool interpretation" to cover myself because, yes, it's always possible to interpret a style into something entirely within the guidelines, yet somehow possessing a unique quality, but once again, that is contrary to my understanding of this paricular category in ANAWBS.

Chill out guys, you're both basically saying the same thing and are both right. All competitions are looking for the "best example" in each category and brewing should be a creative process. The mash paddle is just the same. The best example could be pushing the boundaries of style by the brewer being creative and that's a good thing. Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels has an overview of ingredients used in American competitions (although a bit old now) and it lists a wide range of ingredients that were used for the top beers. Have a read.

Cheers
Russ

Very interesting that so much fore warning has been given...

Yep, the idea here is that the mash paddle is typically a style that brewers don't brew very often and it's designed to push you out of your comfort zone. Therefore, it's expected that you'd need some time to perfect your beer. Unless you just wing it like me and put your brew down a few weeks before entries close... :rolleyes:

Yep, the idea here is that the mash paddle is typically a style that brewers don't brew very often and it's designed to push you out of your comfort zone. Therefore, it's expected that you'd need some time to perfect your beer. Unless you just wing it like me and put your brew down a few weeks before entries close... :rolleyes:

Russ is the mash paddle category usually announced this early?, could be my ignorance, I don't recall the last few years being announce so early.

You point above is quite true, through all the brewing references at my disposal, I consistently skim over the hybrids. Looking forward to smashin one up.

QB, :beer: guess I could do with a chill pot or two. and put the steam energy into the mash paddle...GL

@ Smashin - Was announced about this time last year. I had my first trial in the keg by end of March, then went away for a couple of months while the competition was on and couldn't enter.

Gotta say the style (but mostly the yeast) doesn't excite me that much, so might do the Russ thing and wing it. Or I'll do an Asher and just carpet bomb the rest of the competition with entries instead.

No, it's a hybrid! This year the ANAWBS committee present to you the mash paddle style for 2010 - California Common (aka Steam Beer)
The main page of the ANAWBS has info about "31st Australian National Wine and Beer Show 2010"
However, under the Competition Details - Beer Classes it says: "The Mash Paddle Competition National All Grain Brewer of the Year Belgian Pale Ale - Full Grain Mash Only"
Assuming that's last years info, you may like to have someone update the website - there may be a couple of non AHB members that want to enter the comp. ;)

Ah, we'll have to start a Style of the Week thread on steam beers. Will get on to that ASAP.

Will post up a thread tomorrow if anybody has been waiting with baited breath. :lol:

What I'm drinking tonight, in Hawaii:

SteamAle.JPG

So you guys whom brewed up the paddle beer 8 months ago. Hows it looking? Seems crazy a thread about a comp 8 months ago, yet its dormant now. How many entries do they get? How does lager beer fermented at ale temps hold up after such time?

Entries aren't till October this year I believe. I have one in secondary at the moment.

I don't think anyone will enter an 8 month old beer, maybe some but....anyway they must have been talking about a trial run.

I thought entrys close next week.

Back