Mash Paddle 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years back, I had just completed my very first ag and was stewarding at the NSW Championships. One beer I tried was a Maibock and what a huge experience it was. Absolutely delicious. It was a turning point of my brewing.

The beer was one of Barry's fine stable.

Maibock is a worthy mashpaddle contender.

Id say Barry is the boy to beat in this folks but he aint unbeatable!

Brew your best ones and get them in...... i will be making one for sure!

cheers

I think that's the old conversion, Michael. The new conversion is ebc=srm*1.97. Or basically EBC is twice SRM. Too easy. :D

Well - that explains a few things.... <_< Thanks for the heads up Stuster.

Cheers,
Michael.

You supply the wort Kai and I will supply the fermentation fridge,then we can go halves in the riches,eheheheehehehehe

Half a mash paddle each, eh? Do we draw short straws for the handle, or split it vertically?

I think I'll have to slide out a cheater bock or two over winter.

:rolleyes: lol ....try every beer between now and then being a maibock......................................how many entries we allowed into each class?:lol:

Maibock hey.Checked my brew records and brewed a Maibock about 3 years ago and from said records it was a cracker.
Count me in on this one.

Cheers
Big D

Well we've got no confidence in your tastes given the iron brewer results Big D, so I think it's best you post the recipe here and let us decide :p

Actually mika i thought i did quite well considering there is? a wooden spoon on offer for last place and i required a new mash paddle.
Now might be a good time to dig up that recipe and see if its any good before i make a complete goose of myself. :D

Cheers
Big D

Possibly of interest to anyone in WA, The International Beer Shop (yes I am affiliated) has the Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/66/1873) in stock at the moment and although technically speaking is a Traditional Bock (they do brew a maibock, but we don't have it), it pours a light gold colour, and has a pronounced vienna malt character, with none of the melanoidin/toast/colour that would typically differentiate a traditional bock from it's lighter brother. When I drank it everything about it screamed "maibock", I was quite confounded as to why it was labelled "dunkel". If someone in Perth has more experience drinking these styles feel free to grab my back.

Given the lagering time involved in brewing this gentle monster of a beer, I thought I better remind people that the closing date for entries is likely to be 29 September 2008.

We are still finalizing the details of entry drop offs etc, but rest assured you will be kept informed on AHB.

Hoppy brewing

awrabest,

stu

:rolleyes: lol ....try every beer between now and then being a maibock......................................how many entries we allowed into each class?:lol:

How did I miss this question?

No limit to the number of beers you enter into a class, as long as each is a different brew :)
May a thousand maibocks bloom.

However we do frown on people entering the same beer into more than one class. So, if your maibock is an all grain uber helles enter it into the paddle, but don't also enter it into the pale German lagers as a Munich helles.

Any word on new style guidelines (i.e. more belgians) ?

Are the current guidelines being tweaked?

Chiz

Any word on new style guidelines (i.e. more belgians) ?

Are the current guidelines being tweaked?

Chiz

In all honesty Adam I have been a bad little competition convener :ph34r:

Looking to get revised style guidelines to t'commitee by the end of this month. If accepted I can post details here in about a month's time from now.
Full details will be included in our major mail out in June/July.

For the Mash Paddle Maibock we will be using the latest BJCP Guideline

As far as I know we haven't had too many Belgians enter our show to date, but then I am not sure we ask about ethnic origin on the registration form :p

How are we doing with our maibocks, folks? I just racked mine to secondary and it is tasting quite pleasant if a little fruity right now. Got a little carried away topping out at 7.5% too. oops :rolleyes:

I'm going for two this time (mainly because I've never brewed a Maibock and figured at least one of them one would be appalling....)

I'm going with a bigger gutsier one and a smaller more hoppy/floral one. Basically either end of the guidelines. The big one is getting filtered and kegged in the next day or two and the smaller one will be brewed in a week or so and just scrape in a reasonable lagering period before its due in. Filtering helps to cut the prep time which is nice.

Last year was a damn fluke, this year my last and second last places will no doubt reveal my true abilities as a brewer (Actually the bigger beer is tasting pretty nice... maybe not last with a little luck)

TB

Any idea when these are due? Last I heard it was september some time.

Thanks
Andrew.

Thanks Adam. Glad I asked as I might have missed it.

cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back