Mash Paddle 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
The famed and fabulous Bruces who determine the style for the Mash Paddle have convened.

Mystical smoke is eminating from behind the dunny at the back of the senior Bruce's yard.

A mash paddle style for 2008 has been annointed!!

This year there was a first eleven of anonymous Bruces, who deliberated long and hard.

Wee McBruce tried valiently to have Crystal Rye Dry Stout adopted, but to no avail.

Grand Master Bruce was not invited , so double oaked, chocolate chipped transatlantic barley wine stood no chance.

Candles burned fiercely, but then wained, for more traditional challengers such as Belgian Pale Ale and Californian Common / Steam Beer.

In the end the Mash Paddle Sweepstakes was won by an initially unfancied outsider that came from the bock and gradually reined in the field.

All grain brewers of Australia, the Bruces present to you the mash paddle style for 2008 - MAIBOCK

A lager beer of moderately elevated alchohol levels that contains both malt and hop complexities, contained in liquor of paler hue than the darker bock siblings. Neither a lighter bock, nor a Munich Helles on steroids, but maybe a bit of both. A challenge without a doubt.

Check out the BJCP guidelines for Maibock here

AHB related threads can be found here courtesy of Stuster.

More details will follow, including the entry closing date (hint, it will be in September 08) and conditions etc. But this is an all grain competition only, part of ANAWBS (the Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show).

Watch this space too for a major announcement of a substantial new prize package.

Mai the best bock win!!

Looking forward to this one, has to be the year I no longer have a fermentation fridge though.

Just makes it all the more of a challenge, I guess :)

Hey Guys,

anyone notice that Wyeast have a VSS "2487 Hella-Bock yeast" released this season. that would sure help you on the way to a nice meaty bock!

also there is a pretty good podcast by jamal on the subject HERE, worth a listen if you aren't familiar with the style

good luck to everyone, it is always good to brew a new style if you haven't tried this one before.

Rob.

Are there any commercial; version available in Aus, to help us get a handle on what we are trying to make?

cheers Ross

I'll be having a go at this, the Big Green Hell I put into the Christmas case was actually brewed roughly to this style - I'd be interested to know what you think when you get to it Stu.....it's probably got a little too much hop character but possibly not as it ages a little.......

Look out boys...you'll have trouble avoiding my carpet bombs at ANAWBS this year......:D

Looking forward to this one, has to be the year I no longer have a fermentation fridge though.

Just makes it all the more of a challenge, I guess :)

You supply the wort Kai and I will supply the fermentation fridge,then we can go halves in the riches,eheheheehehehehe

Brett

P.s. is there any rules against Pro's entering, because I wouldn't mind giving this one a crack.

You supply the wort Kai and I will supply the fermentation fridge,then we can go halves in the riches,eheheheehehehehe

Brett
P.s. is there any rules against Pro's entering, because I wouldn't mind giving this one a crack.

You can be a pro-brewer AND a home brewer.

Don't use a work recipe, brew it start to finish with your own hands, on your home system .... then its home brew

I cant see how what you do for a living has anything to do with it.

At least I hope not anyway :) I'll be having another crack this year - if only to prove that last year was a complete fluke

Thirsty

The rules refer to being legally able to make beer to sell or something like that making you ineligible, but there was talk of changing the definition so you would want to check the next year entry guidelines.

Its all moot anyway as my money is on Barry aka Mr Maibock.

Oh $hite is Barry entering? :blink:

((Slinks back into the shadows...!))

Possibly saw this one on the shelf at a bottle-o near home, possibly.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4686/3397

or this one:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4685/25332

Will see if it is what I thought it was tonight or tomorrow night.

Cheers,

GT
Be curious as to answer to that. I have seen other hofbrau beers but didn't think I'd seen that one.
Might be time for another excursion...
If you do find it let us know which store as I'm in Mt Gravatt East so it can't be far away :)

Be curious as to answer to that. I have seen other hofbrau beers but didn't think I'd seen that one.
Might be time for another excursion...
If you do find it let us know which store as I'm in Mt Gravatt East so it can't be far away :)

First Choice at Mansfield was what I was thinking of - was in their last night picking up some Heffeweizen.

And I just spent some time hunting out Maibock in Australia via Google, without a hell of a lot of joy, so we may strike out.

The rules refer to being legally able to make beer to sell or something like that making you ineligible, but there was talk of changing the definition so you would want to check the next year entry guidelines.

Its all moot anyway as my money is on Barry aka Mr Maibock.

Maybe Barry won't read this thread <_<
Barry is human also, and hence fallable.
Don't let spectres frighten you away TL, or anyone else for that matter ;)

FWIW Entry guidelines are reviewed on an annual basis, and this year won't be any different in that regard, but I am not going to preempt any changes on this forum at this stage.

T'committee (a different body from the 1st eleven Bruces) doesn't meet again until next month. Then we will have a number of possible changes to discuss, including a number of new ANAWBS classes that will be announced over the next few weeks.

What I will commit to is to maintain every endeavour to communicate news of any and all changes promptly.

First Choice at Mansfield was what I was thinking of - was in their last night picking up some Heffeweizen.

And I just spent some time hunting out Maibock in Australia via Google, without a hell of a lot of joy, so we may strike out.
Well just in the interests of brewers here in Brisbane thinking about this style I might be forced to go down there sometime in the next few days...
When you say Mansfield, do you mean the Newnham Rd or the Wecker Rd one?
If the former did you know the Wecker Rd one is bigger?
I didn't until recently, in fact I didn't even know it was there...

Off topic the new Holland Park Dan Murhphy's looks pretty big in the making doesn't it...

Wecker road one, much closer for me to get to than the Newnham Road. Didn't know Wecker rd existed as a First choice (used to be a Liquorland) until I plugged HP into boozle.com looking for other local bottle-o's I hadn't raided in my search for something different.

And yeah the new Dan's is even closer for me - can't wait for it to finish - but then again it's only going to be a Dan's so the choice of Euro beers (Belgians and English in particular) will be lacking if my recent trip to the 'Gabba one was anything to go by.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll stock maibock - making it all worthwhile :D

I have a total newb question. When looking at the BJCP guideline, what is the comparison or conversion of SRM numbers to EBC numbers?

Cheers,

Schooey

I have a total newb question. When looking at the BJCP guideline, what is the comparison or conversion of SRM numbers to EBC numbers?

Cheers,

Schooey
srm = (ebc * 0.375) + 0.46

or, unless your anal about colour: srm = ebc * 0.375

Cheers,
Michael.

srm = (ebc * 0.375) + 0.46

or, unless your anal about colour: srm = ebc * 0.375

I think that's the old conversion, Michael. The new conversion is ebc=srm*1.97. Or basically EBC is twice SRM. Too easy. :D

Latest posts

Back