Mash Paddle 2007, Is It A Lager, An Ale? - It's A Kolsch!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
The brains trust behind the all grain Mash Paddle competition has been in clamorous consultation, trying to decide what challenge to set for 2007.

Following the success of this years Robust Porter competition, it was felt a distinctly contrasting, yet equally demanding, style was called for.

Early, Caledonian accented, pleas for a speciality crystal rye category were dispensed with. Rather harshly and peremptorily, in my opinion. Lighter bodied ales and lagers from Belgium, the Old Country and the Americas, were invited on to the dance floor, but ultimately failed to impress. Their dance cards will be filled in future years.

A consensus gradually emerged. For a pale and delicate flower of beer, rarely seen on Antipodean shores, but with a world wide reputation.

A beer with a certain degree of mystique and mystery.

A style requiring both the skills of ale production, with close attention to temperature control (in both mashing and fermentation), and the patience of a lager brewers cold conditioning techniques.

An ale that often has to fight a lonely corner in the lager categories of other competitions.

A beer of elegant simplicity, and few hiding places for brewing indiscretions, which still allows scope for the individual brewers interpretation.

A beer of moderate alcoholic strength.

Kolsch. The top fermented, cold conditioned, light and clear ale of Cologne, in the Rhineland of Germany.

The BJCP defines the style here: http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html#style6C

This will form the template for the Mash Paddle guidelines. As with all ANAWBS guidelines, the final version for our competition will be posted on the ANAWBS website, and here, by the end of November.

Other web references abound for the style here are just a few to whet the appetite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_(beer)
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27982.asp
http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index...020510221304290

The brewers of AHB have also shown considerable appreciation in previous threads. here, here, and here, just for starters.

We invite you all to add to these discussions further on this new Mash Paddle Kolsch thread.

Prost! May the all grain battle for the 2007 Kolsch mash paddle begin!

An excellent choice. This is a style that will really push the brewer and brewing technique. I look forward to putting my Kolsch up against the masses.

Great choice :)

A style i've never made, but been intending to for ages - last night at our brew meet one of the guys brought in a flagon of Kolsch poured direct from a bright tank in Germany a few days earlier - delicious. Really looking forward to this one...

cheers Ross

Great choice. :super:

I think there are a few Sydney brewers whose Kolsch's I've had the pleasure of tasting that will/should be entering.

And I think I know what the next Style of the Week should be. :lol:

dean from colonial brewing kindly advised me of the recipe for their spruiker's challenge if anybody is interested...

This one style where the recipe should be pretty basic. So long as you are in the ball park you should be ok. This style tests if you can really brew.

An excellent choice. This is a style that will really push the brewer and brewing technique. I look forward to putting my Kolsch up against the masses.

And if he does, quail in fear. Aaron's last koelsch was bang on the mark.

Looking forward to this one, the style's not only challenging in production but in timing. It's delicate enough that too old or too young will both screw it.

Looking forward to this one, the style's not only challenging in production but in timing. It's delicate enough that too old or too young will both screw it.

Thankfully, with the judging to be held in October 2007, and closing date for entries to be some time in September, there is plenty of time to experiment in getting the timing right :)

I have a feeling that, once people have tried this style, it is one they won't mind having another go at and seeking to master :super:

Final confirmed dates for all of this will come out between now and the end of the year.

After tasting a Reissdorf imported Kolsch, and Luke's Kolsch at Potters, I'm very keen to get into a few experimental 25 litre batches this Summer.

Whatever the result of the mash paddle, I'll see if I did a good job of culturing Duff's Kolsch yeast and I'd love to have a go at brewing the winner's recipe.

Didn't get into the last mash paddle. Was initially keen (like I am now), but ran into distractions and the obsession with making my weird beers.

Hope the competition's strong, and really have no doubt that it will be.
I just need to get a few "obligation" brews out of the way and get into some serious Kolsch-ing.

BTW, Luke@Potters tells me the pronunciation is phonetically Kurlsh. Either way, it's a fine Hybrid Lager (BJCP).

Onya Stu, awrabest :beerbang: (he he)

Seth out :p

BTW, Luke@Potters tells me the pronunciation is phonetically Kurlsh. Either way, it's a fine Hybrid Lager (BJCP).

To brew this style it has to be done with the correct yeast. If you tame the yeast you tame the beer, dont tame the yeast you end up with Ninny Beer!

Happy to pass on an AHB bulk buy price closer to the time via shop.nnlbeersupplies.com.au . If you have tried Lukes Kolsch you''ll know there is no currency in cutting corners and using a ninny lager yeast... none at all... (hence his awards won at AIBA)

Scotty

To brew this style it has to be done with the correct yeast. If you tame the yeast you tame the beer, dont tame the yeast you end up with Ninny Beer!

To which there is only one yeast (well actually 2) Wyeast 2565. The famed "lark's vomit" yeast (or Whitelabs WLP029).

Basically the proverbial ugly duckling that becomes the beautiful swan after sufficient cold conditioning. :super:

Bring on the Kolsch. :beer:

Warren -

I know using a kolsch yeast is supposedly an important part of this beer, but i've drunk a superb example brewed with good old US56, infact it's the nicest one I've tried to date - question is, would it have been better with a different yeast - Hmmmm, think I'll be brewing a couple of split batches this summer...

Cheers Ross

I know using a kolsch yeast is supposedly an important part of this beer, but i've drunk a superb example brewed with good old US56, infact it's the nicest one I've tried to date - question is, would it have been better with a different yeast - Hmmmm, think I'll be brewing a couple of split batches this summer...

Cheers Ross
I'm sure it was a lovely beer. However, have you tried one of the classic examples of the style? You really need that yeast to get that character in my opinion. It gives a really special character that us56 could not hope to deliver.

That said the Wyeast 2565 is a bugger to work with. The stuff is just so powdery and will jump back up into solution if you look at it the wrong way.

However, have you tried one of the classic examples of the style? You really need that yeast to get that character in my opinion. It gives a really special character that us56 could not hope to deliver.

Sure have Aaron, as mentioned in my first post - & i'm certainly not arguing the point - was just pointing out the nicest one i've tasted so far was with US-56, so really keen to make the same recipe alongside one made with a proper kolsch yeast, which i'm hoping will lift it a few notches - time will tell :)

Cheers Ross...

Cheers Ross

US56 would be good as a blend with something else, the US56 would just attenuate the wort and not leave much character compared to the other yeast. A mix of WLP036 or another Alt yeast (k97?) and US56 would work brilliantly. Then again, just start with the right stuff in the first place and get some WLP029 Klsch or WLP011 Euro Ale. Haven't tried the Wyeast one but i don't like the idea of having to filter the beer to get any results from the yeast.

I will be entering a Klsch into the NSW Xmas case, using WLP029 instead of my last attempt that scored 103/150 in the NSW HB champs that was a little too sweet because i used WLP036 alone. Even with a mash schedule of 45mins at 63C then another 45mins at 71C the yeast comes out a little too sweet/fruity for an authentic Klsch, even though i achieved 15% more attenuation than the WL spec called for.

Hop choice is pretty much anything noble, i had good results from using a mix of Taurus 14.8% for bittering and Saphir 4.5% for a little flavour, the Xmas case one gets Styrians & Saphir for bittering with a CZ Saaz plug for flavour. :chug:

I hope my Xmas case entry comes out well enough that people from NSW can use it as a decent starting block for their recipes - this is one competition where i think the competition will be very fierce.

Edit: I've put my recipe up http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=251

Hi all,

I currently have a psuedo-lager Koelsch style brew in the kegs at home. It started off as an experimental type brew that was basically designed to get rid of the last bits and pieces of a few varieties of German hops from the freezer. I was after a lager type brew (to suit the hops) but only have the ability and temp control to brew down to 14C. So out came the trusty US56!

Now up until fermentation had begun I had not read the style guidelines for a Koelsch. After a Vic case swap Koelsch I had a quick read and discovered that this was in fact what I had created (aside from the yeast). So obviously from this point on I was anxious to have a tasting and see how I'd done and when the time finally came I was definately not disapointed! Sensational style this is!

Mine is (from memory) 90% pils malt, 10% wheat. Mashed at dry temps.

My question for the Koelsch buffs is what is the desired attribute from the Koelsch yeast? I ask this because I managed to acheive (using US56) quite a nice "tang" to mine that I believe to be as per style? I guess to back Ross up, I'll give another thumbs up to US56 Koelsch's!

Cheers guys,

JS

A most excellant choice Stu and co. I look forward to trying my hand at this beer in 07.

Cheers
Big D

My question for the Koelsch buffs is what is the desired attribute from the Koelsch yeast? I ask this because I managed to acheive (using US56) quite a nice "tang" to mine that I believe to be as per style? I guess to back Ross up, I'll give another thumbs up to US56 Koelsch's!

I find that hard to put my finger on. Get yourself a classic example and you will know immediately. You also don't want the diacetyl that us 56 produces.

I find that hard to put my finger on. Get yourself a classic example and you will know immediately. You also don't want the diacetyl that us 56 produces.

Koelsch is a style that I've never brewed and never even tried :excl:

Aaron,
Are there good examples readily available here?
If so which and where?
Cheers.

Reissdorf Kolsch is at a few of the better bottle shops...

Whats the opinion of using wyeast 1007 german ale yeast. I've used it on alts and get a very clean dry beer, little if no fruit from it. Looks like it's next on the brew list...

;)

Latest posts

Back