Mash Master Fridge Mate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWC

Reaction score
Got it for Fathers Day :D
Going to convert a chest freezer to keg fridge.
Can I just put the thermostat wire in a coke bottle full of water for temp controll?
I have an old freebie aircon thermostat that I do this with for my ferm fridge.
I know I should be able to do it, just don't want to stuff it before I use it.
Cheers

Dave

I have my probe hanging from the lid of my chest freezer attached with a bit of duct tape.
Have surrounded my probe with a bit of foam to stop the compressor kicking on every time I open the freezer to change beers.
Also running a P.C. fan to keep air moving.

Cheers FROGMAN.

The little probe will corrode if you leave it in water, so keep it off the water. I have a little staino tube sealed at one end that fits it nicely. A lot of people use crimped corny tubes...

How cold do you run your freezer??
I am going to run mine at about 3 or 4 degrees.
I was a bit worried about freezing kegs with just air temp.

Dave

Mine is currently set at 4 degrees and won't be adjusting as I have finnally got my system balanced.

VERY HAPPY FROGGY.

Cheers FROGMAN.

The little probe will corrode if you leave it in water, so keep it off the water. I have a little staino tube sealed at one end that fits it nicely. A lot of people use crimped corny tubes...
what he said. I had mine in a cup of water for a number of months then noticed it had started to corrode a bit. still works, but I'd advise making a thermowell for it

Thanks for all that, looks like I'll be taping it to the roof.
Gotta get busy tomorrow.
Cheers :beer:

Dave

Thanks for all that, looks like I'll be taping it to the roof.
Gotta get busy tomorrow.
Cheers :beer:

Dave

You would probably want to have it in water, fluctuating air temp will make it keep switching the compressor on/off. Maybe wedge it in a block of polystrene or something if you cant get a thermowell (I havent tried this, itd probably work OK tho). I run my fridge at 4C too.

Another option is to buy the optional stainless steel probe from mashmaster. Not much cheaper than the controller itself though..

I've never had any trouble with hanging the probe in the air, but I can tell you that the probes won't necessarily stand up to permanent immersion.

Andy

Be careful were you stick it in the chest freezer. Especially if you are not running a fan. I had mine stuck near the top and after a few days found the bottom of some longs necks sitting on the bottom had frozen. Chest freezers get much colder at the bottom than at the top

Kabooby :)

I've got mine shoved into a piece of polystyrene that seems to hold the temp better

my keg ridge is set to 5*C

is everyone using the default 9 minute delay? with 1*C tolerance ?

is there any advantage in playing with these defaults?

Cheers

I've been looking into converting a chest freezer for my keg setup and it looks like a fan is definitely a good idea. With a fan in there you shouldn't have any probs with the probe in the air.
Its a good idea to wire a micro switch in with the fan as well so when you open the lid the fan stops and doesn't blow all your cold air out.

I'm also interested to know if anyone has been playing with the standard setting, like Cortez asked.

I've got mine shoved into a piece of polystyrene that seems to hold the temp better

my keg ridge is set to 5*C

is everyone using the default 9 minute delay? with 1*C tolerance ?

is there any advantage in playing with these defaults?

Cheers

Hi Cortez, my understanding is that the 9 minute delay is designed to protect the compressor, so you're not drawing load every minute or so that the temps vary. When running a heating element or belt, you can shorten this to 1 minute, as the machinery you're running (ie an element, as opposed to a complicated and delicate compressor) is more robust.
I think the 1 degree tolerance is pretty standard, I'd prefer to keep fermentation with 1 degree where possible, but a keg fridge could probably go more than that. I find 7 degrees in my upright fridge does the trick, but that's just set at the second lowest setting on the dial (not connected to a Fridgemate). A matter of preference I guess!

Latest posts

Back