Marris Otter Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazman1967

Reaction score
Hi
Due to a communication error with my local grain buyer.. Im now have 50Kgs of this grain..
Cant ship, dont ask....
I have decided to make some Ales with it over Summer..
I have some..British Ale recipes...but have no idea about water treatment for these ales.
Im only a new Ag brewer so all help and recipes would be appreciated..

Cheers Guys

New AG brewer + Water Chemistry, Don't mix.
Just brew with it. Can be used for anything with Pale Malt in it (and a few that don't), I love the stuff.

Brew a few English style barley wines to get rid of some in quick time!

50kg of Marris otter, lucky you

If you are only a new AG brewer I would not recommend adjusting your water.

Generally if your water is OK to drink its OK for beer

Do a few batches first and get your brewing technique solid. This will make a bigger difference to your beer than playing with your water.

Kabooby :)

water chem is a subject that gets you head tied in knots in no time.....and marris is a forgiving lady, so if its just good beer you're after, brew as normal as the others suggest.

Try one beer with just MO and one hop. Special!

Second that. With that much grain to play with it's a great opportunity to do a one-grain brew. You'll be able to appreciate the character of this malt, and it has loads of it.

100% MO, EKG ~30IBU with a late addition, liquid English ale yeast (WLP005 just a suggestion). Ferment at 18-20c.

:icon_drool2:

Hi
Due to a communication error with my local grain buyer.. Im now have 50Kgs of this grain..
Cant ship, dont ask....
I have decided to make some Ales with it over Summer..
I have some..British Ale recipes...but have no idea about water treatment for these ales.
Im only a new Ag brewer so all help and recipes would be appreciated..

Cheers Guys

I think as some of the other guys say, there are more important things to worry about than water treatment. However, I also think if you are putting all the work into an AG brew and given that your final product is 95% water, it can't hurt to start learning. Reading How to Brew by John Palmer is probably the best starting point (online book).

Good luck getting through all that malt :icon_cheers:

Thanks Guys for the replies..
I agree...its a bit early yet for me to be playing around with water chemistry. I also have a new mash tun and false bottom on the way...so will have to recalibrate all my measurements anyway...
I have done Ross's Summer Ale with Nelson Sauvin hops ... yummy :icon_drool2: . I hope to do a couple of double batches of this. Might try some other single hop additions...Any Ideas ?

Cheers Guys n Gals

Keep brewing the good stuff

Might try some other single hop additions...Any Ideas ?
Where to begin!?!!? :icon_drool2:

You might want try one of those new Aussie hop varieties (Galaxy, Millennium, Summer Saaz, etc), for something different.
Besides that, you could always stick with the British feel and try some British hops. I recently made a bitter with nothing but Challenger, quite happy with the resulting hop flavour.

Thanks Muggus for the tips.

Yes..will try Galaxy, Summer Sazz and I might try the D Saaz.
I have some books on British Ales...Ill use the grains, hops and yeasts without the water additions. May not be true to style...but will still give me a taste.. All still in the learning curve.

Thanks Muggus for the tips.

I have some books on British Ales...Ill use the grains, hops and yeasts without the water additions. May not be true to style...but will still give me a taste.. All still in the learning curve.

Before going into all those exotics, I'd definitely recommend giving EKG a whirl. It is the classic English hop, and the perfect partner for Maris Otter, the classic English malt.

MMM... Goldings my fave...Until I got the taste for Styrian Goldings...flavour and aroma additions.... :icon_drool2:

Pffttttt - lager hops.

You had better not ruin the brerw-karma and say you going to use lager hops and dried yeast.... that would send you straight to hell in some parts of the Illawarra.

Currently enjoying a cubed conditioned MO+EKG+Ringwood Ale yeast right now. Life is perfect...

Scotty - the WOG

MMM... Goldings my fave...Until I got the taste for Styrian Goldings...flavour and aroma additions.... :icon_drool2:
+1 for styrian....love it, love it, love it.
Goldings, fuggle, styrian, all individually are great. But in combo, they are the dogs bollocks.

there is the answer ;)

Pumpy :)

Honest Gove'ner, it has only been one pint. If i was 3 sheets to the wind I would have said much worse ...

5.45am mornings kinda kill a 6 pint glow to be honest.

Yeah....might use a Brewiser POR teabag with some Farmland Draught left over yeast....lol
As per previous posts...EKG, Styrians,
Bramling Cross, Brewers Gold. plus Challenger, Target, Northdown
Yeasts....Wyeasts for me...
Lets get English...lol

Back