Marris Otter Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1275! 1275! Thames valley, I dream about this yeast.

EKG works really well as a single hop and is great with MO. There's also Challenger, Styrian Goldings and Northdown.

As well as pale ales, you could make a brown ale/mild or a Scottish Ale.

I think US hops work well with some malt backbone so an APA is another possibility (but make sure you don't let Scotty know I suggested it. :ph34r: )

Just did an english styled bitter I'm very happy with.

100% Maris Otter with Target @ 60 mins to your preferred IBU (mid to high 30s for me). Is nicely balanced, and really lets the malt character shine through. Bloody nice drop, and at around 4% I can have a nice session on it!

Next time though, will be adding some EKG at flameout for some more hop flavour, and a little crystal for colour.

Cheers

EKG works really well as a single hop and is great with MO. There's also Challenger, Styrian Goldings and Northdown.

As well as pale ales, you could make a brown ale/mild or a Scottish Ale.

I think US hops work well with some malt backbone so an APA is another possibility (but make sure you don't let Scotty know I suggested it. :ph34r: )

I'm not watching this thread anymore, i am stalking it. As Sting once said .. 'every move you make...'

Our Les won a award at the state with an APA based MO and an American Ale hop. it was great. you see, its only the three letter word ALE i care about... origin does not matter to me ...

Some of the best hops I have used have been challenger and target. they are low in cohumulone and high in drinkablility. I tip my had Sir Stuster to you for recomending them, i had forgotten them in much folly.

Scotty

Currently enjoying a cubed conditioned MO+EKG+Ringwood Ale yeast right now. Life is perfect...

Scotty - the WOG

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Heaven in a pint glass! I love the ringwood yeast!

+1 for styrian....love it, love it, love it.
Goldings, fuggle, styrian, all individually are great. But in combo, they are the dogs bollocks.

The landlord 'clone' i make is MO (with a touch of munich) and Fuggles for bittering, EKG for flavour and styrians ( :icon_drool2: ) for aroma.

Having just put down a bottle of real TTL i now wish i was the poor ******* with 50kg of MO.....

Maris Otter gets a huge amount talk , a sort of latter day Chardonnay, but I am not content with this.
It is, of course, a winter barley, and whilst it may perhaps have been made glorious by certain summer ales it pales.
K

Fair enough, Mr K. So what variety of malt do you recommend? :)

H
aving just put down a bottle of real TTL i now wish i was the poor ******* with 50kg of MO.....

or golden (promise) hair

I am not content with winter grains even when made glorious by suuny York...

there was only ever one good thing to come out of lancashire.....

it rose, of course, to the occasion, red cheeks 'n all.

Back