Marga Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparrow62 said:
Ross said:
Can someone point me to a barley crusher or like in the price area of AUD 160 delivered Brizzy...
Everything I'm finding is much dearer & therefore leaning towards the modified Marga from Grumpys...
Ross.

I just went through the same exercise as you. After days of searching for options and prices I ended up ordering a Marga Mulino from bakeandbrew.com.au . I just received confirmation of my order. It will cost me $106.95 including $12.00 postage to Brisbane. I begrudge the overseas prices and postage. :chug:
That's stil a pretty good price. My HBS has one for sale for $195.

- Snow

Ross said:
This one works out at AUD 210 delivered. Not rteally into construction myself, so would rather have it done for me...
Don't be put off by the construction for a crankandstein. I have zero clue when it comes to building anything, but managed to use a water cooler bottle as a hopper(cut the bottom off with a hack saw), and mounted the mill on a piece of melamine and a hole cut out using a hole saw to match the hopper.

A 3 roller crankandstein would be gr8, but the simple 2s I have still works a treat and is built for the job.

Having said all of that the marga price you have managed to get is pretty darn good.

Is it worth paying an extra AUD 100 for the Stainless rollers?

Ross said:
Is it worth paying an extra AUD 100 for the Stainless rollers?
IMHO if you have an extra $100 it would be better to get a tailor made mill ie a Barley Crusher, Valley Mill or Crankandstein. Otherwise the extra $100 just for ss would not be worth it. Better to put the $100 towards a March Pump and become a real brewer :ph34r: :lol:

what is it about march pumps and real brewers? :lol:
we all know real brewers use gravity because it sucks <_< :D
were is that winged wonder anyway.

cheers
big d B)

Roach - The Stainless rollers are an upgrade option on the Crankandstein - or maybe worth going to a 3 roller & staying with plain steel?

& what on earths a march pump...

Ross,
An email from Fred Francis at Crankandstein at the time I bought mine, suggested that the S/Steel rollers were a real luxury and not necessary for the home brewer.
IMO the 1/2" input shaft for $20.00 is well worth it tho'.
I found this guy very helpful, just send him an email with any questions.
Cheers.

Ross said:
& what on earths a march pump...
Ross,
See grain and grape sell march pumps with the detail in the attached link

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/brewingsystems_info.htm

March pump is the pump that many AG brewers use for transferring/recirculating water/wort in their systems between HLT, Mash Tun, Boiler, CFWC out to the fermenter. Plenty of references in this site and on the net.

You will also see in the AHB gallery there are a few. A cheaper alternative is a pond pump.

As dicko suggested go the 3 roller and stay with mild steel.

Cheers
Roach

BTW,
A March pump is used in the HB set up to pump wort to clear, through the herms and through the cfwc.
:huh:

It was once suggested by "The Winged Warrior" ( Batz) that you weren't a brewer less you had one.
:eek: :D :D

I am not going there but a pump does make AG brewing just that bit easier. ;) :ph34r:

Cheers

Latest posts

Back