Marga Crush Gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_m

Reaction score
I know this has been done before, but there seems to be some variation in opinion.
I am now the proud owner of a shiny new Marga (thanks Ross) and in possession of 75 kg of uncracked base malts (thanks Lucas for organising the bulk buy). In order to make the most of this combination, I've set the Marga with feed rollers at widest opening (approx) & crush rollers at 60 thou.
Does this sound right to you Marga users out there, or should I open up / close up the crush gap?
Looking forward to feedback, will post pictures of no-drill marga mod once proven.
Cheers
Mark

edit - title should read gap not gao - doh

I know this has been done before, but there seems to be some variation in opinion.
I am now the proud owner of a shiny new Marga (thanks Ross) and in possession of 75 kg of uncracked base malts (thanks Lucas for organising the bulk buy). In order to make the most of this combination, I've set the Marga with feed rollers at widest opening (approx) & crush rollers at 60 thou.
Does this sound right to you Marga users out there, or should I open up / close up the crush gap?
Looking forward to feedback, will post pictures of no-drill marga mod once proven.
Cheers
Mark

Bump

Still confused about this one - am I being too pedantic & does it actually matter if the crush gap is 40thou or 60thou or somewhere between?

Mark

ive just modded my new one as well and could only get 45 thou at the widest

I've set mine at 60thou. I did this simply by turning the adjustment knob until the feed rollers were widest apart, then tweaked it until the crush gap was right (so the feed rollers were slightly closer than furthest apart). Then I just taped the knob in place with some gaffa tape.

Works pretty well for me. I'm yet to get the big hopper pictured here, but it's only a matter of time. :)

I don't think I'd set the crush gap any closer that this, but I haven't done any efficiency calcs, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. :p

I just used a feeler gauge at the spacing specified in one of the marga threads

from memory i slipped a tiny bit and the gap ended up a fraction larger

getting efficiencies between 75-80% though batch sparging - so i'm happy with the crush

only one slightly stuck sparge so far

cheers

Latest posts

Back