March Pump Mounting Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
After posting a picture of my setup it was noted that I should mount the pump in the horizontal position. I have just done a Google and it appears that only some models in the March range require oiling and if they have ball bearings they dont require oil. The first question is, I could understand that the angle you mount a pump at would be critical if it required oiling but the March pumps we use, the 809, does not appear to have any oil ports. So to my way of thinking it should not matter if you mount it vertically. Does this sound ok? Does anyone else run their March pump in the vertical position? :huh:

Steve

Steve
I think (IIRC) if you look at mrmalty.com, the author Jamil, has his march 809 mounted kinda sideways and vertical to run his whirlpool chiller. I dont think that it is going to do it any harm, and I will be surprised if the way you have done it is the wrong way. Worst case scenario, if there are conflicting answers, email March and ask them. But my 2c is you are in the clear.
All the best
Trent
PS very jealous about your setup.

i figured windings at the top so any leaks run away from the power and stay with the impeller casing. power higher so any leaks don't run down the power cord and into the socket.
just a guess sparkies?

Sounds like it makes sense to me Tangent. (not that I'm a sparky)

I've had my pump mounted both ways and not had any problems. I do currently have it sitting horizontal and will probably keep it that way.

It's funny you should ask this question...

I was down at Process Pumps last week getting my March pump looked at (I can't say enough good things about these guys!)

Anyway, I asked Karl this very question. His response was that there is no "right" orientation, although the orientation you have it in in your setup was the only one he was slightly hesitant about.

I have mine mounted like Tangent does, with a splash cover over the top of the windings...

Andy

My 809 has an oil port. I put a drop of oil in it, as per instructions, and when I mounted it with the oil port facing down the oil leaked out. Funny that...

I then proceeded to take off the pump head and re-arrange the pump, head and bracket so the oil port was up and the pump head was in the correct position. It's only 4 screws and takes about 5 minutes. I highly recommend it.

I found that a 1.25ltr coke bottle make for an excellent pump cover.

pump_top.jpg

hard to tell from this pic but a very snug and simple fit.

Wouldn't leave a lot of room for ventilation, if it is as snug as you say ? :unsure:

Not that I can find the instructions but I seem to remember that there is an oil port on the pump body which should point up (presumably so you can drop oil in it).
Given that the pump is actually designed to be installed for continuous operation in water heating/hydronic systems I don't think the duty cycle we subject them to is going to see the orientation mattering much.

Hmm. I don't keep mine mounted, I just oil it every now and again.

Ah...makes sense now. Might look at the same until the brewframe's constructed.
Looked all over mine, purchased ~1-1/2 months ago, no oiling point for the bearings. Sealed for life deep groove bearings, as it should be.

I got mine the better part of 2 years ago, and there is certainly no oil port in mine. It runs for about 2 hours or more every brew day. Love the thing. Strange that some 809's have oil ports, yet other dont, eh?
All the best
Trent

i was under the impression that the 809 was also a magdrive brushless design and in that case you shuldn't see any windings as they would be sealed. (could be wrong ) also they have a centre shaft pinion ball so mounting vertically will not really hurt them as this is what the ball is for.

but then again i could be wrong as it depends on which magdrive they are using from which manufacturer there a several variation on the 809 pump as we can clearly see in this thread.

but then again i could be wrong <_<

del

After posting a picture of my setup it was noted that I should mount the pump in the horizontal position. I have just done a Google and it appears that only some models in the March range require oiling and if they have ball bearings they dont require oil. The first question is, I could understand that the angle you mount a pump at would be critical if it required oiling but the March pumps we use, the 809, does not appear to have any oil ports. So to my way of thinking it should not matter if you mount it vertically. Does this sound ok? Does anyone else run their March pump in the vertical position? :huh:
Steve

Steve ,

Mine is Horizontal and seems OK,
I suppose if it primes vertical its OK but I have never tried it !

Pumpy :)

March_Pump.jpg

These are what the oil ports look like on mine:

pump_oil.jpg

Also thought I'd share my tacklebox solution - it does the job pretty well if you don't have a permanent stand to mount it to:

pumpbox1.jpg pumpbox2.jpg

Nice one boys. I do see dem oil ports now. As I dont have much spillage on brew day water or wort in the pump is not a big issue, and I guess as these thing are designed to be running contiuous the amount of work we do with them I doubt will wear out too mant bearings. So that settles it i'm leaving it where it is!
Thanks again!!

Back