March Pump Maintenance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
I've had my March pump for a couple of years now without any problems, until recently. I constantly recirculate the wort through my HERMS and and the last couple of brews I've noticed the pump stops pumping towards the end of the mash.
The motor still runs but the flow decreases and then stops.
A couple of times the motor has stopped as well and needs to be left for 10 minutes or so before it can be started again, I think this happens because the motor overheats.

I clean the pump with PBW just about every second brew and in between I hot water and acid clean.
Decided to strip the pump to see what was causing the above problems.

pump_001__640x480_.JPG

This is what I found.
pump_002__640x480_.JPGpump_004__640x480_.JPG
This stuff was a hard build up and at first I thought it was rust, but I think it's beer stone. It's all the way around the impeller and even in the shaft. This is obviously what was causing the pump to slow and stall.

After a good clean and scrub with PBW this is what it should look like.

pump_005__640x480_.JPGpump_006__640x480_.JPG

Might be a good idea for all you march pump owners to strip your pump every now and then (that is if you don't already do that).

Cheers
Andrew

I don't know about other brewers but I pull apart my pump and clean after every brew.

I've had my March pump for a couple of years now without any problems, until recently. I constantly recirculate the wort through my HERMS and and the last couple of brews I've noticed the pump stops pumping towards the end of the mash.
The motor still runs but the flow decreases and then stops.
A couple of times the motor has stopped as well and needs to be left for 10 minutes or so before it can be started again, I think this happens because the motor overheats.

I clean the pump with PBW just about every second brew and in between I hot water and acid clean.
Decided to strip the pump to see what was causing the above problems.

View attachment 27805

This is what I found.
View attachment 27801View attachment 27802
This stuff was a hard build up and at first I thought it was rust, but I think it's beer stone. It's all the way around the impeller and even in the shaft. This is obviously what was causing the pump to slow and stall.

After a good clean and scrub with PBW this is what it should look like.

View attachment 27803View attachment 27804

Might be a good idea for all you march pump owners to strip your pump every now and then (that is if you don't already do that).

Cheers
Andrew

Had something similar happen a couple weeks back. Now that I have a larger brewery (85ltr boils) I don't brewer as much. Anyway six weeks had passed when I finally fired things up. The pump started then stopped. I pulled the head down and found I had a lot of build up of crap around the shaft where the impeller sits. After a quick clean up everything is running sweet.

Yes I would agree, the occasional strip down is a good idea. Its not a big job, just something you don't want to do on brew day.

BYB

Ive had this happen to me twice now both times after i finish recurculating for the mash, bloody annoying at the time

Pulled mine down today for a quick clean and found I needed to replace the silicon 'O' ring. They stretch after a couple of strips.
For those interested they are $19.00 from Process Pumps.

Perhaps an item you could stock Ross?

Batz

Ive had this happen to me twice now both times after i finish recurculating for the mash, bloody annoying at the time

+1 had this happen to me a couple of times also dirrectly just after recirc as i was going to sparge. The first time i freaked and thought my pump had shit the tin and i fly sparged manually. But after a quick inspection just needed a clean, thank **** i said.

Pulled mine down today for a quick clean and found I needed to replace the silicon 'O' ring. They stretch after a couple of strips.
For those interested they are $19.00 from Process Pumps.

Perhaps an item you could stock Ross?

Batz

I did notice the 'O' ring was a bit hard to seat, was slightly stretched as you say Batz.

Andrew

I did notice the 'O' ring was a bit hard to seat, was slightly stretched as you say Batz.

Andrew

It'll be worst next time Andrew,when I receive the new one I'll see if I can source some cheaper Jobie's ;)

Batz

Great Topic Andrew and Batz .

just been waiting to pull mine apart now Iwill do it

Pumpy :)

Latest posts

Back