March Pump 809 Polysulfone Head - How Much Weight Can It Take?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've set up a new brew rig (I'll post about the whole lot later).
In this setup, I have two extra inputs into my March 809 pump which I didn't have before. This means that I've got two extra valves, and a couple of misc extendy bits on it to make access around the pump more sensible. But now, I've got quite a lot of of valves, t-pieces, joiners, and barbs all hanging off the 1/2" threads on my March Pump. I've TEK screwed my pump to the frame of my new rig, so now the whole lot is supported only by the head of the pump. (see attached pic).

I only set it up last night, and it seems to be holding fine and solid enough... but I'm somewhat shitting bricks that it's too much weight hanging off the pump. I think it's a bad idea and I'm not sure how to fix it. However, I perhaps thought about putting some barbs or disconnects straight on the pump, and running some silicone hose away from it and mounting all those pieces to the frame somehow. However, that will affect the liquid flow by adding in extra line. But, for the sake of saving the head of my pump, I'm wondering if this is the way I should do it.

What are other people's experiences?

pump.jpg

I have a similar setup, no dramas as yet.

You could always get a tougher head for it from tesco.

If you're worried about the weight use bolts rather than the screws in the frame. Can't see the head shearing off with 4 x ss screws holding it on.

TP

My concern would not be the weight of supporting that load, but the potential to break/crack the inlet/outlets of the pump form the torque generated by operating the valves.

If I was you, I'd be looking to brace those valves somehow.

Cheers SJ

My concern would not be the weight of supporting that load, but the potential to break/crack the inlet/outlets of the pump form the torque generated by operating the valves.

If I was you, I'd be looking to brace those valves somehow.

Cheers SJ

If not already braced then +1. :)

TP

Maybe an option is to weld a few supporting brackets to your frame then cable tie to the valves/fittings to those brackets?

Hi all,

I've set up a new brew rig (I'll post about the whole lot later).
In this setup, I have two extra inputs into my March 809 pump which I didn't have before. This means that I've got two extra valves, and a couple of misc extendy bits on it to make access around the pump more sensible. But now, I've got quite a lot of of valves, t-pieces, joiners, and barbs all hanging off the 1/2" threads on my March Pump. I've TEK screwed my pump to the frame of my new rig, so now the whole lot is supported only by the head of the pump. (see attached pic).

I only set it up last night, and it seems to be holding fine and solid enough... but I'm somewhat shitting bricks that it's too much weight hanging off the pump. I think it's a bad idea and I'm not sure how to fix it. However, I perhaps thought about putting some barbs or disconnects straight on the pump, and running some silicone hose away from it and mounting all those pieces to the frame somehow. However, that will affect the liquid flow by adding in extra line. But, for the sake of saving the head of my pump, I'm wondering if this is the way I should do it.

What are other people's experiences?

Hi Kieran

On my original 3v system I had a heap of valves all fixed to the inlet and outlet and it took a while but it did break the housing at the thread right where the nipple screwed onto the pump. Had to buy a new housing.
My new system has a nipple on both inlet and outlet with a barbed fitting for each and a silicon hose in and out.
I have put all necessary valves on the pot (kettle) ends of the plumbing.
Food for thought.

Cheers

Hi Kieran

On my original 3v system I had a heap of valves all fixed to the inlet and outlet and it took a while but it did break the housing at the thread right where the nipple screwed onto the pump. Had to buy a new housing.
My new system has a nipple on both inlet and outlet with a barbed fitting for each and a silicon hose in and out.
I have put all necessary valves on the pot (kettle) ends of the plumbing.
Food for thought.

Cheers

Yes, indeed. This is my concern. I am really thinking of doing this. I can then relocate the manifolds closely to the frame and strap them on.

Cheers

My plan is to use camlocks with a very short section of hose to the pump so I cannot put weight on the pump. Then my piping will be attached to the frame of my bench.

This will also to facilitate easy removal of the march pump when required.

Latest posts

Back