Maple Dark Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewn00b

Reaction score
Hi for my next kit brew I have a can of Morgan's Iron Bark dark ale and 1kg LDME. I want to add some more fermentables and was initially just going to add some dextrose but have now decided to add something a bit different. I want to try honey, treacle and maple syrup in future brews and was wondering if anyone has had any success with maple syrup? I was thinking about adding 250ml Maple syrup to the other ingredients. Any suggestions would be most helpful:)

Hi for my next kit brew I have a can of Morgan's Iron Bark dark ale and 1kg LDME. I want to add some more fermentables and was initially just going to add some dextrose but have now decided to add something a bit different. I want to try honey, treacle and maple syrup in future brews and was wondering if anyone has had any success with maple syrup? I was thinking about adding 250ml Maple syrup to the other ingredients. Any suggestions would be most helpful:)
I've used Maple syrup in a few beers now, and find that you need a heap to get any resultant aroma/flavour contribution. Started with 250, nothing 500, maybe a hint in aroma, 1L you can pick it up in the nose. Still yet to get it into the flavour though.

I've heard Candy Caps (google it) impart the desired flavour, but no idea where to source them over here.

I've used Maple syrup in a few beers now, and find that you need a heap to get any resultant aroma/flavour contribution. Started with 250, nothing 500, maybe a hint in aroma, 1L you can pick it up in the nose. Still yet to get it into the flavour though.

I've heard Candy Caps (google it) impart the desired flavour, but no idea where to source them over here.

Ok Thanks, unless I can find some for a reasonable price at the bulk foods place I might give it a miss this time around:)

Back