Manifold Advice - Version 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But still no luck, I am destroying the braid and I cannot see any way in which it will cover the pipe - see below

med_gallery_3670_230_30532.jpg

Am I completely missing something here? Does anyone have any advice, this is driving me to the drink, but unfortunately this is a catch 22.......... <_<

An alternative to the kingco fitting and copper pipe is to get 2 "hose barbs" that screw onto/into your tee piece (1 for each side). The braid will slip straight on & can be secured with hose clamps. You will end up with something like this:
P4231138.JPG

Ok,

So I went to bunnings tonight - everything else closed, and I bought a 1/2" compression Olive Nut, 1/2" Olive and a 1/2" piece of copper pipe

This is what it looks like

med_gallery_3670_230_212162.jpg

So I get home, and the copper pipe doesn't fit into the compression nut????? See below

med_gallery_3670_230_82484.jpg

I know the photo isn't good but the pipe just sits on the outside of the nut. The internal diameter is 1/2" but the external part prevents entry - WTF am I doing wrong?

Ok,

So I went to bunnings tonight - everything else closed, and I bought a 1/2" compression Olive Nut, 1/2" Olive and a 1/2" piece of copper pipe

This is what it looks like

[snip]

So I get home, and the copper pipe doesn't fit into the compression nut????? See below

med_gallery_3670_230_82484.jpg

I know the photo isn't good but the pipe just sits on the outside of the nut. The internal diameter is 1/2" but the external part prevents entry - WTF am I doing wrong?

Looks like you bought the wrong size pipe. The olive should fit over the pipe, which in turn should fit through the hole in the kinco nut! Crozdog's method is a much better solution, because if (when) you need to pull it apart to clean, you won't have to throw olives away and replace them each time. Probably will cost a little more though.

what you bought was a copper joiner i think rather than actual copper pipe. it's bigger on one end than the other & is for joining separate pieces of copper pipe together. also i dont think a piece that long will be long enough for the compression fitting to grip onto it & still have enough left over to attach the stainless braid to it.

you need to get one of the Bunnings dudes to cut you a length of 1/2 inch copper pipe from the rolls they have on the shelf. get a half meter or a meter so you've got a bit to stuff about with.

you will also need to buy the special tool to cut copper pipe - watch how the guy does it & ask him to point you to where you buy the tool.

An alternative to the kingco fitting and copper pipe is to get 2 "hose barbs" that screw onto/into your tee piece (1 for each side). The braid will slip straight on & can be secured with hose clamps.

great call !! easy peasy !!
at worst hahn you just have some nuts n bolts u cant add too a greek salad! not too mention the braid maybe getting shorter n shorter,
horses for courses, u aint great with punches n tools, screw on hose fitting will do it everytime!!
just means another visit too bunnings :huh:

what you bought was a copper joiner i think rather than actual copper pipe.

Your right, It was called a copper joiner......

In regards to barbs, where abouts in bunnings would they be? I found some with the air compressor stuff, but they were all 1/4" and I need 1/2.

I am now just thinking of getting a few bits of copper and making a copper manifold

This has to be one of the most expensive S/S braid manifolds in the history of AHB..........

Your right, It was called a copper joiner......

In regards to barbs, where abouts in bunnings would they be? I found some with the air compressor stuff, but they were all 1/4" and I need 1/2.

I am now just thinking of getting a few bits of copper and making a copper manifold

This has to be one of the most expensive S/S braid manifolds in the history of AHB..........

Garden section, stick with it, lol, and have a brew.

Hahn, you're almost there with what you've already got.

just get the bunnings guy to cut you 2x5cm lengths of 1/2 inch copper pipe. these will fit into your compression fittings (hopefully you got 2?) on either end of your t-piece & leave you enough length to attach the braid over them & will cost you bugger all.

to secure the braid to the copper pipe also get 2 x 1/2 inch stainless hose clamps. bunnings have these too for about $1.90 each from memory.

then you're all done.

Hahn, you're almost there with what you've already got.

just get the bunnings guy to cut you 2x5cm lengths of 1/2 inch copper pipe. these will fit into your compression fittings (hopefully you got 2?) & leave you enough length to attach the braid over them & will cost you bugger all.

to secure the braid to the copper pipe also get 2 x 1/2 inch stainless hose clamps. bunnings have these too for about $1.90 each from memory.

then you're all done.

Yeah what he said. All you're missing is a piece of plain old 1/2" tube and you're there. ....geez I wish you were in Adelaide you could come round and I'd sort it for you......bloody plumbing getting in the way of a beer, enough to make you cry :(

I will report back tomorrow night - I will get the small copper pieces and the clamps and go from there......

Your help is very much appreciated guys

stick with it, lol, and have a brew.

onto my 5th one now........ B)

Yeah what he said. All you're missing is a piece of plain old 1/2" tube and you're there. ....geez I wish you were in Adelaide you could come round and I'd sort it for you......bloody plumbing getting in the way of a beer, enough to make you cry :(

Cheers mate,

I'm most likely going to buy one of your falsie's after christmas anyway - the kids/santa have cleaned me out this month

Thanks Guys

y dont ya get 4 compretion elbows 1 metre of copper join it all together to fit ya tun/esky whack a heap on 2mm holes through it & forget about the braid works great just tested mine last weekend drains quickly & filters spot on easy to disassemble 4 cleaning if i can get me camera working ill post a pic

...um, he shouldn't go a manifold at this stage because he's already got the braid plus nearly all the bits to make the braid work.

hahn, stick with the braid mate. it works magic - believe me!

i've been in exactly the same position as you are now. I couldn't tell you how many times I've driven backwards & forwards to Bunnings in a day putting my system together. stick with it & and you'll be fine.

it will all be worth it when you're all set up & brewing great beer.

let us know how it goes

complete your task pal!!!
no talk of a falsie until u get this nailed, keep us posted!

I will report back tomorrow night - I will get the small copper pieces and the clamps and go from there......

Your help is very much appreciated guys
onto my 5th one now........ B)
Geez man you are making it hard, 3 pages on how to fit braid to a manifold!
Do you want santa to make/send you one for chrissie like in post 20? I will gladly do it to put you out of your misery, actually just PM your address and I will send the one in the photo minus the hoseclamps and braid you can connect it straight to your threaded bit.

Bugger the SS braid this is what you want a copper manifold there is no easy way out .

I am not hanging around waiting fifty mins for a SS
braid to drain

20 mins and wort into the kettle with a copper manifold its probably cheaper to invest in a SS false botty

pumpy

mash_tun_SS.jpg

pipe_sleeve.jpg

thanks for the advice and offers guys - but you know what it's like when you put it together yourself, the beer tastes better

I am not hanging around waiting fifty mins for a SS
braid to drain

20 mins and wort into the kettle with a copper manifold

i wouldn't want to wait 50 minutes either. lucky my braid takes bugger all time to drain. even quicker than your 20 mins Pumpy B)

i also use a stainless false bottom, but in my kettle - works a treat to stop those hop plugs blocking my pickup tube

finally something good has happened, was about to go to bunnings to get copper pipe, but then thought about my 2 copper chillers in the garage - guess what 1/2 pipes all the way.

I tomorrow I'm going to the old mans house to pick up his copper pipe cutter and I'm going to take about 5cm of each chiller

I will post photos once I've got the whole thing setup

The next scary part is putting a hole into the esky......

Latest posts

Back