Manifold Advice - Version 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
Ok,

I have put my manifold together using 3/4" piping reducing to a 1/2" ball valve, see below

med_gallery_3670_230_223551.jpg

So I cut my hooker's ends off and now I can't get the bloody braid over the ends of the pipe?

So I went out and got 2 3/4" to 1/2" reducers to see if that would help - see below

med_gallery_3670_230_45908.jpg

But still no luck, I am destroying the braid and I cannot see any way in which it will cover the pipe - see below

med_gallery_3670_230_30532.jpg

Am I completely missing something here? Does anyone have any advice, this is driving me to the drink, but unfortunately this is a catch 22.......... <_<

WWWH,

I feel your frustration. I haven't done what you want to do however it looks like you need a section of 15mm pipe to clamp on to.

My manifold is made from slotted 15mm copper pipe, t-pieces and elbows. The longer bits not soldered to make cleaning easy. Today I tried to assemble it and found one of the elbows had a flat spot. My mind turns back to the last brew and my 4.5 yo playing with the bits when I had them out in the sun drying. So off it was the shed plyers to try and restore a cylinder looking pipe <_<

Keep at it.

regards,
Scott

the problem is the ends are 15mm or 1/2 inch - and I still am not even getting close

Or am I missing something here?

the problem is the ends are 15mm or 1/2 inch - and I still am not even getting close

Photos can be misleading, however it looks like that thead is greater than 15mm. I will guess that the internal diameter is 15mm. Get out a rule and check.

regards,
Scott

Photos can be misleading, however it looks like that thead is greater than 15mm. I will guess that the internal diameter is 15mm. Get out a rule and check.

regards,
Scott

hmmmm, yes 15mm internally - anyone know how I can save this now?

What is you got a piece of copper (1/2 inch) and a nylon cam, and one of those 1/2 nuts and connect it to the threaded end then use a hose clamp to clamp the braid to the pipe...

Does that make sense?

What is you got a piece of copper (1/2 inch) and a nylon cam, and one of those 1/2 nuts and connect it to the threaded end then use a hose clamp to clamp the braid to the pipe...

Does that make sense?

Not really, I was going to buy a piece of copper pipe, but I couldn't see how you make it stay connected with the steel threads as the copper is unthreaded?

He means a 1/2 inch compression fitting.

Champion!

I knew it had a name. Compression Olives I think is another name.

Sorry but my digital camera is OS at the moment, so I cannot show you the nut I mean. I will have a look on the net. Give me 5.

Reece

Sorry mate,

the longer this goes on the stupidier I feel

What is a compression fitting?

Go to a plumbers TRADE outlet and ask for a 1/2" kingco nut and a nylon olive. It will cost you about $2-$3, and it will connect a piece of 1/2" copper to a 1/2" bsp male thread. Ask them for a chrome plated one if they have them as opposed to a plain brass one.

P.S. Don't go to the fancy smancy bathroom display side of a plumbers outlet, the same fitting may cost you more and they may try and sell you some other crap with it. Go to the TRADE counter. If they look look sour at the mention of just one fitting, smile, and mention you're making beer with it. :D

If you get super stuck I can supply one/some to you.

If you have a look at this picture, you can see a brass kingco nut on a piece of stainless 1/2" tube, stuck in the end of the tubing on the false bottom. This is how the false bottom is attached to the 1/2" bulkhead.

falsietopfull.gif

ok so I buy a 1/2" piece of copper pipe, a 1/2" compression nut and a 1/2" olive - this will join the copper pipe to my male ended 1/2" thread?

You guys are awesome BTW - so much appreciated :wub:

Also, how does a copper T-Piece stick to a copper pipe?

ok so I buy a 1/2" piece of copper pipe, a 1/2" compression nut and a 1/2" olive - this will join the copper pipe to my male ended 1/2" thread?

You guys are awesome BTW - so much appreciated :wub:

Also, how does a copper T-Piece stick to a copper pipe?

You can solder it (with lead free solder of course :lol: ) or you can just sort of crimp it in there from either side a little with a centre punch and a gentle tap with a light hammer to tighten it up so you have to work it in and out. Works fine and has the advantage of being able to be removed if you have to.

You just need to do something like this, as has been said it doesn't even need to be soldered and if you don't have or know what a pin punch is then a sharp nail tapped into the copper so it "dimples" it will do the same thing.
IMG_2492.JPG

Latest posts

Back