Mango Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakie21

Reaction score
Hi guys

Truly addicted to brewing now! on 5th or 6th beer brew now and I was thinking of doing something a little different.
While gathering some stuff for a small BIAB setup I thought I might try one more kit beer since it is familiar to me now.

I was considering making a mango wheat beer. I bought;

Thomas coopers wheat beer kit,
1.5kg thomas coopers liquid wheat malt and,
WB-06 Dried yeast.

1. I am not sure how much fruit/what kind of fruit. Puree'd or fresh seems to be the way to go after some reading but since fresh is quite expensive I was considering the puree option.

2. Also how to add it, I hear adding later on is better but how would one go about sanitising the fruit. (since it is a wheat would heating be the way to go since haze doesn't matter?)

I realise a liquid yeast would probably be a good idea but since I have limited experience (1 brew still in primary) I thought id go with what I know and is easy (having used the WB-06 and seems decent to me)

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :).

At that german pub in the rocks in sydney they just chuck in some mango puree in the glass then top it up with normal wheat beer.
Thats what I would do. You can experiment with different concentrations without ruining a whole batch that way.

Thanks guys.

Thats a good idea on the puree into glasses. Could always go back to normal beer if you get sick of the mango also.

Thanks guys.

Thats a good idea on the puree into glasses. Could always go back to normal beer if you get sick of the mango also.

It will however, taste completely different compared to adding fruit to the secondary and fermenting it out.

Nooby question - when should I secondary if adding fruit?

Nooby question - when should I secondary if adding fruit?

Generally, the longer the beer sits on anything (to a point), more flavors infuse - but there's a lot to consider with this sort of caper, and either way it still has to ferment out.
Unless you're using a tried and tested recipe and method, small or split batches are the go. You may turn up something wonderful - something meh - or a little drink for your lawn.

Thanks for the words of advice. Haven't had to feed the lawn yet so I would like to keep it that way!

Might just make a standard wheat beer and at some point in fermentation (after vigorous part?) put some into a 5l demijohn with mango fruit/puree in it.

How low should i let the gravity get before i secondary it with fruit?

Latest posts

Back