Mango Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabre4

Reaction score
Guys,

I remember trying Saint Anou Pale Ale at a bar on Brunswick St probably five years ago. We used to go there just to get a glass of "Mango beer". Years later I'm much wiser, no they didn't put mango in the beer! My question is what hops give that great mango flavour and aroma. I haven't read any hops which claim to get this favour. Yes, you can deliver passion fruit, grape fruit, cirtrus etc, but mango? Any ideas on what they could be using?

Cheers

Guys,

I remember trying Saint Anou Pale Ale at a bar on Brunswick St probably five years ago. We used to go there just to get a glass of "Mango beer". Years later I'm much wiser, no they didn't put mango in the beer! My question is what hops give that great mango flavour and aroma. I haven't read any hops which claim to get this favour. Yes, you can deliver passion fruit, grape fruit, cirtrus etc, but mango? Any ideas on what they could be using?

Cheers

Hey cool name bloke :)

I can't comment on the hops but I enjoy an occasional summer refresher of this Mango Ale
Cheers
Doug

Hey cool name bloke :)

I can't comment on the hops but I enjoy an occasional summer refresher of this Mango Ale
Cheers
Doug

Ha. Indead, awsome name Doug. That beer looks good, yet they add fruit, as the Belgians tend to do. Anyone else out there got any ideas?

Doug.

I've found that yeast strain and fruitiness from fruity hops are very important. You can make the same ale with two different yeasts and one will taste of peaches and the next will taste like grapefruit.

I wouldn't be surprised if much of the mango was yeast derived esters - with a fruity hop to compliment and narrow down the fruit.

There's only a handful of esters - all of which in varying quantities make the various fruit flavours.

A combo of butyl butyrate, ethyl butyrate, ethyl hexanoate and isoamyl acetate (esters end in "ate") will be either pineapple or banana depending on the ratios.

I get peach from Nelson Sauvin and S04 ... by accident. Which is how I reckon you'd stumble onto Mango - lots of experimenting with hops and yeasts and ferment temperatures.

Sorry to just confuse the matter. :)

I was told at that time Saint Arnou used Amarillo. I don't remember it being quite mango, but I do remember it being fairly fruity. As Nick says, maybe a combination of flavours in there.

Latest posts

Back