Man dies after beer-drinking competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 liters in 20 minutes is impressive. I got a "Weekend at Bernies" vibe while reading the article:

"He vomited a lot but I sat with him for ten-minutes and he was sleeping and snoring away," Mr Rodriguez said.

Idiots all round - sooner or later a disaster like will happen with these sorts of "contests".

The stupid mayor and others attempted to defend it on these 2 grounds ???:

1. The contest is a long standing tradition.
So, the longer a contest has been in place, the safer it becomes?

2. The deceased was obese.
Okie dokie, so next year we only allow skinnies to participate.

What rock did these idiots crawl out from under?

Drinking 6 liters of anything in 20 minutes is likely to have severe consequences...

Remember the "hold your wee for a wii" competition where the contestant died by drinking too much water trying to win a wii?

MartinOC said:
Ah, but Feldon, there are NO known pathogens in beer!
'Cept botulism, of course. I read it on AHB so it must be true.

keifer33 said:
Maybe beer isn't at fault just the sheer volume of liquid in such a small amount of time.

This isn't fact but there are plenty of so called cases of self drowning. This lady drank 6 litres of water over 3 hours and died let alone 20 mins.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill
It is fact, over consumption of liquid of any kind can cause organs to fail, its not drowning.
As little as 3 litres in a short period can cause death.

Years ago when extacy was all the rage in nightclubs there where many cases of party goers needing medical attention from drinking to much water. Damages the kidneys and liver.

Yeah a 15 y.o.named Anna Wood from Sydney died because she & her friends were worried about dehydrating from ecstacy and dancing all night so they overdid the water consumption and she died.

Back