Malt Muncher Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkaos

Reaction score
Hey All,
Finally bought another mill after I sold my crankenstein 2a a few years ago (thought I was giving up brewing, what an idiot! :lol: ) Anyway, I paid $115 shipped which includes a hopper and it turns out it's keg king branded. On the keg king website they are going for $135, so a pretty sweet deal.

ebay link here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291503210800?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (not affilliated at all, just I have been looking for a mill at a good price for ages).

As it just arrived today I can't comment on the performance, but it beats crushing with a coffee grinder which is what I was going to do at first.

Cheers
Clint

Performance: excellent. Mills grain which mashes and sparges well.
I've had mine for about a year and the non-drive roller doesn't freewheel like it used to. Still no slippage however. A quick lube will solve that.
For the price, like a Kaixin pump, it can't be beaten.

In before the MM/KK haters get here. No issues with mine either, has ground probably 300kg of grain so far without any issues. Biggest 'problem' was me not checking which way the wiper motor i had rotated so i had to disassemble and reverse the setup...

Did you all adjust the gap from the factory, or just leave it as is? Wondering if you're all using a drill, or hand cranking it.

@Takai, with the wiper motor, could you give me any more details? I'm keen to do something like that but low cost.

Thanks

Screen+Shot+2015-07-22+at+10_27_01+am.png

Looks like that, Toyota wiper motor from the spare parts bin. 99c emergency stop button and an old switch. Quickly wired up with a tachometer that i used to use on the mill. Runs off a 12v 3.5A PSU that i have for the LiPo charger.

The thing that cost the most was the coupler...

I adjust the gap to suit what i am milling at the time (unless i am lazy... which i am often)

Mine is working fine. Probably put ten batches through so far. Just hand cranking. Closed the gap up a touch for biab.

Nice work!

thanks for the tip dammag, I'm going to start off with BIAB for a while until I build another setup.

takai said:
Looks like that, Toyota wiper motor from the spare parts bin. 99c emergency stop button and an old switch. Quickly wired up with a tachometer that i used to use on the mill. Runs off a 12v 3.5A PSU that i have for the LiPo charger.

The thing that cost the most was the coupler...

I adjust the gap to suit what i am milling at the time (unless i am lazy... which i am often)
Nice. Feel free to build another one and post to Hobart!

did you source the coupler online?

There have been a few posts on here about them failing and the second roller not turning but with a few mods mine has been working fine. First I replaced the bearings with sealed bearings from statewide bearings.

Then I put a rubber O ring on the drive roller so it also drives the second roller and it works great. Keep it in mind when yours eventually fails as many others have.

Also read my post about using a bread machine motor to drive your mill.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81011-25-grain-mill-motor-from-bread-maker/

Latest posts

Back