Malt Extracts - Which Malts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fawnroux

Reaction score
Hi all,

First up, great site. A big thanks to all who regularly post, there is some great reading here.

Recently, I was researching malt extracts and was wondering if anyone knew which malts might be in them. What I mean is, do the companies that make them just buy up big of whatever might be around, or would there be a single, easily grown cheaper malt that would be used? I tried to research this to no avail.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Unless the packaging says otherwise I think you'd be pretty safe to assume it is just pale ale malt. Brand? No idea but as an extract I don't think it'd matter too much.

Hi all,

First up, great site. A big thanks to all who regularly post, there is some great reading here.

Recently, I was researching malt extracts and was wondering if anyone knew which malts might be in them. What I mean is, do the companies that make them just buy up big of whatever might be around, or would there be a single, easily grown cheaper malt that would be used? I tried to research this to no avail.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Below info copied from Morgan's site:

Master Blends composition: 1 KG Specialty Blends (new package now: 1.5kg)

Beer Enhancer (2-row Pale extract, Glucose, and Honey; 1.2 EBC) Lager Malt (100% 2-row Lager malt; 2.4 EBC) Caramalt (60% Caramalt and 40% Pale malt; 12 EBC) Dark Crystal Malt (60% Dark Crystal and 40% Vienna malt; 38.4 EBC) Wheat Malt (60% Wheat and 40% Pilsner malt; 3.2 EBC) Chocolate Malt (15% Chocolate and 85% Munich malt; 21.6 EBC) Roasted Black Malt (12% Roasted Black malt and 88% Munich malt; 50.8 EBC)

Morgans Masterblend extracts only 50% fermentable;

Just a note, the beer enhancer is gone from the range, the Morgans 1.5 Kg cans now are Wheat, Beer Enhancer (100% light extract), Lager, Caramalt and Roasted.

You should be able with what Thylacine posted work out whats in the rest of the range.

Have to have a chat with Morgans about updating the information on their website.

MHB

Not that I have any specific knowlege of this but I would assume (yes yes, arse you me) that each different brand would be pretty consistent malt/mash reigime(sp?) wise. Not that that gets you any where closer to know what's in them, but it's my opinion (however ill informed it is) of the quality control that would be present. So I don't think they would just take whaterer was around at a cheap rate, because their consistency would prolly suffer dramatically, thus driving some customer away.

Thanks for the fast replies! I appreciate it.

Thanks for the breakdown Thylacine. Of all the googling I did, It never actually occured to me to check manufacturers websites, haha :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Dave

Just a note, the beer enhancer is gone from the range, the Morgan's 1.5 Kg cans now are Wheat, Beer Enhancer (100% light extract), Lager, Caramalt and Roasted.

You should be able with what Thylacine posted work out what's in the rest of the range.

Have to have a chat with Morgan's about updating the information on their website.

MHB

The Morgans website used to be very informative but a lot of the specific info like Thylacine posted is no longer there. Its a bit hard to know whats in some of their tins now because after they consolidated there range some of the tins have two of the old names on them. e.g. There used to be 'beer enhancer' and 'extra pale extract' which were different but on the new range both of these names are on the one tin.

Latest posts

Back