Malcolm Roberts... oh my goodness gracious!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madpierre06 said:
You did forget atheists. There is just as much a refusal to believe or even consider the validity of the evidentary experience of those who in particular came to a faith from a position of non-faith.
That's funny! You have zero idea what passes for evidence. Opinions, feelings are not evidence anymore than 'it's the vibe' is a valid legal defense.

DrSmurto said:
That's funny! You have zero idea what passes for evidence. Opinions, feelings are not evidence anymore than 'it's the vibe' is a valid legal defense.
Please explain! As you have zero experience of what someone else's experience is. How would you respond to someone who said you have no idea how to brew beer, even though you know very well that your beers DO hit the spot.

madpierre06 said:
. How would you respond to someone who said you have no idea how to brew beer,
I would tell them to go to www.aussiehomebrewer.com

madpierre06 said:
. How would you respond to someone who said you have no idea how to brew beer, even though you know very well that your beers DO hit the spot.
Show them a nice shiny WW :D

madpierre06 said:
Please explain! As you have zero experience of what someone else's experience is. How would you respond to someone who said you have no idea how to brew beer, even though you know very well that your beers DO hit the spot.
There is zero evidence of a deity. Until you or anyone else provides evidence then the zero point hypothesis holds: there is no God.

Your lack of understanding of what constitutes actual evidence is noted. Your experience or any person's experience of the existence of a deity is not evidence.

Provide me with evidence and my mind can be changed. As a scientist I'm proven wrong vastly more often than I'm right but this is decided by the evidence not my feelings.

Oh no. Its turning into a religious debate. Last time I saw that on a forum ended up the banning of the subject because of flame wars.
Agnostic is the only choice left I feel. On the fence not because of undecided but between two unprovable belief structures. Cant sign up for a belief structure either way. I think its evident that science cant disprove god. Just got to except that as a fact. God does exist. In peoples minds. How do you disprove that? Impossible.
So the definition of Atheist is to believe that God doesn't exist. Only arguments that could go to the end of time itself for that one.

ps. Good laughs from this thread.. :p

Danscraftbeer said:
Oh no. Its turning into a religious debate. Last time I saw that on a forum ended up the banning of the subject because of flame wars.
Agnostic is the only choice left I feel. On the fence not because of undecided but between two unprovable belief structures. Cant sign up for a belief structure either way. I think its evident that science cant disprove god. Just got to except that as a fact. God does exist.
In peoples minds. How do you disprove that? So the definition of Atheist is to believe that God doesn't exist. Only arguments that could go to the end of time itself for that one.

ps. Good laughs from this thread.. :p
Another who fails to understand the fact science is not required to disprove a negative since we always start from a zero point hypothesis. Therefore, atheism is not a belief structure. It is an acceptance that there is no evidence of a God.

Edit - Russell's teapot, the invisible pink unicorn and the flying spaghetti monster all demonstrate this point.

I'd happily accept evidence of a deity, or ghosts, fairies, goblins and any other fantastical entity. Never seen any. I'm an atheist simply because I don't see any other rational conclusion.

DrSmurto said:
There is zero evidence of a deity. Until you or anyone else provides evidence then the zero point hypothesis holds: there is no God.

Your lack of understanding of what constitutes actual evidence is noted. Your experience or any person's experience of the existence of a deity is not evidence.

Provide me with evidence and my mind can be changed. As a scientist I'm proven wrong vastly more often than I'm right but this is decided by the evidence not my feelings.
You didn't answer my question. You assumed that my evidence was around feelings and opinion, both things which I have little to no time for. To say that another's actual experience is not evidence is astounding. Apple lands on head, evidence of something.......

DrSmurto said:
Another who fails to understand the fact science is not required to disprove a negative since we always start from a zero point hypothesis. Therefore, atheism is not a belief structure. It is an acceptance that there is no evidence of a God.

Edit - Russell's teapot, the invisible pink unicorn and the flying spaghetti monster all demonstrate this point.
Then what planted the seed of it into the minds of humans to times before written history? I'll go for it being a result of intelligence and self awareness. But that's so boring. Maybe it was aliens.

madpierre06 said:
You did forget atheists. There is just as much a refusal to believe or even consider the validity of the evidentary experience of those who in particular came to a faith from a position of non-faith.
You've suggested this before MP but I personally have never been presented with any compelling evidence or even much experiential/anecdotal from non faith to faith.

The stuff I do see ranges from this:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A to this :https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzcu_BU3ndI

The reason I find faith odd is the same reason I find homeopathy odd. It simply makes no sense to me and the answers to questions beg more questions.

As for Mal - I'm waiting for him or another ON candidate to mention the lizards.

Are well paid train drivers atheists.........That is the question we need to ask

madpierre06 said:
You didn't answer my question. You assumed that my evidence was around feelings and opinion, both things which I have little to no time for. To say that another's actual experience is not evidence is astounding. Apple lands on head, evidence of something.......
how does one test this experience?

dreams are equally 'real' to the brain, but if it can't be observed or measured in a controlled environment, it's a brain fart.

manticle said:
You've suggested this before MP but I personally have never been presented with any compelling evidence or even much experiential/anecdotal from non faith to faith.

The stuff I do see ranges from this:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A to this :https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzcu_BU3ndI

The reason I find faith odd is the same reason I find homeopathy odd. It simply makes no sense to me and the answers to questions beg more questions.

As for Mal - I'm waiting for him or another ON candidate to mention the lizards.

From my perspective, I rarely share my experience as those who ask for it are looking for a reason to scoff rather than even be willing to accept it...not that I am averse to sharing it, but it comes back to 'casting pearls to swine'.....it would simply be wasted. If the request was genuine, I have always been willing to put it out there. Those videos....I honestly thought that banana one was a tongue in cheek effort.

The highlighted phrase.....probably one of the most honest things I've seen posted.

Liam_snorkel said:
how does one test this experience?

dreams are equally 'real' to the brain, but if it can't be observed or measured in a controlled environment, it's a brain fart.
You either be willing to accept it or not...what you do with it after that is your responsibility. I accept full responsibility for my farts, brain or otherwise.

Back