Making your own hydrometer sample jars?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a keg king hydrometer, and found out yesterday that the 'sample tube' it comes in doesn't like hot wort. Its now a bit wavy.

I also picked up a sample tube with a black plastic base from Country Brewer yesterday. The hydrometer only just fits in it (there's no real friction but its a fairly close fit).

Is this ok for taking a reading?

I found that when the tube was fairly close fit, I had trouble with high FG readings due to gas in the brew.

Thanks for reply.

I stuffed around with some water and the readings arent too good - just that bit too tight.

Found another tube and sealed the bottom with a hot glue gun - Ahhh, is there anything they cant do?

Best bit of kit ever.

Mr B said:
I have a keg king hydrometer, and found out yesterday that the 'sample tube' it comes in doesn't like hot wort. Its now a bit wavy.
Same here (different brand). My 'sample tube' now has a bend in it and the hydrometer gets caught/stuck. I tried to fill with hot water and bend back into shape, but no dice.

Will be looking for another one about same size (because it doesn't take too much of the good stuff out for the sample). I'd measured it and 125ml sample size would easily cover any possible gravity reading.

The 100ml conical lab measure seems to get raps for being suitable.

Shall try to get one at some stage

Back