Making pilsners with ale malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Republican Stout/Ale would be better.

We would be much stronger than those Indian or Imperial wussies.

Pilsner comes from those Bohemians .. and a damn good job they did too. I like it.

Last edited:
Pilsner malt certainly leaves a pilsner-malt sweetness in the beer whereas ale malt or even other lager malts do not - not anywhere near as much anyhow. So there is definitely something special about pilsner malt though I'm not sure exactly what it is, something in the way it's malted no doubt.

Just do it, brew with whatever malt you have and if you wanna call it a lager, use a lager yeast or use an ale yeast and call it an ale, which ever way you go it will still be beer[emoji23][emoji106] All jokes aside I typically try to stick close to style but I have done plenty of “chuck whatever I have left in” brews including leftover hops and they all came out great, not sure what they technically were ( apart from yeast used) but I know without a shadow of a doubt they were all beer[emoji482]

Pilsner malt is the name given to most of the malt made for commercial Larger brewing, it is less intensively kilned than Ale malt (BB call theirs Pale Malt), higher in SSM precursor to DMS, paler and traditionally less well modified (last COA for Weyermann Premium Pilsner I looked at had a coarse/fine difference of 0.8 - so very highly modified)

To get the required pale colour with older barley varieties required deliberate under modification. With modern varieties it's not hard to get good colour with "full" (KI>40) modification.

Latest posts

Back