Matilda Bay's Ruby Tuesday Amber - V1.1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm really, really new to BIAB - my first batch was fairly dodgy at best, and tasted crap because I went in blind.

Second batch - according to Matilda Bay, it uses a Pale base with Melanoidim, Caramunich, Carared and Wheat. Hallertauer Hersbrucker and Pride of Ringwood Hops.

Colour is approximately a slight amber-red, according to MB it's 26 IBU.

My initial grain bill for a 20L batch was:

1kg Ale Malt (local brew shop's generic blend or whatever)
250g Caramunich
500 Mel
500 Dex
500 Carared
1500 Wheat

BIAB - 1 hour steep/mash, slight sparge/squeeze the bag into a clean bucket to get the last of the flavours out

Wyeast WLP060.

Boil - 15g POR @ 60, 30g Haller at 30 mins for aroma

End result was rather crap, as I've not done grain before I hadn't put a lot of thought to the whole having to water up with extract vs. not having to with AG as the boil IS the wort so to speak.

So now I've decided to pull the finger out, and buy the proper Crown unit and do it properly.

So I present Ruby Tuesday V1.1:

3.5kg Briess 2 Row Pale
1kg Wheat
0.5kg each Mel, Carared and Caramunich
50g Hallertauer @ 1 hr

What I'm chasing is info on water into a bigger Amber Ale - for a BIAB, I want to make it around 20 litres but have the ability to scale if need be. Is this malt profile going to be enough for a 20 litre batch in a BIAB setup? OR should it be higher?

From memory, MB states 4.7% but I'm sitting around 6% estimated.

Finally, questions and critiques?

Actually correction to the hops - 15g POR @ 60, 30g Hallertauer @ 30 min

Hi Fatfox,

Not sure about the recipe as I have never tasted the commercial beer, but overall the amount SPEC grains may be a bit high at 25% of your total grain bill.

For 20L batch you grain will give you around a 6.5% beer. You will need to scale your grain bill down. Do you use any software? I would recommend Brewmate which has a BIAB feature.

Your overall amount of water will be around 33 L to end on 20L into the fermenter, but you can plug your own brew house specs into the software. (ie trub loss / evaporation rate)

Good luck with v1.

Spacecapsule said:
Hi Fatfox,

Not sure about the recipe as I have never tasted the commercial beer, but overall the amount SPEC grains may be a bit high at 25% of your total grain bill.

For 20L batch you grain will give you around a 6.5% beer. You will need to scale your grain bill down. Do you use any software? I would recommend Brewmate which has a BIAB feature.

Your overall amount of water will be around 33 L to end on 20L into the fermenter, but you can plug your own brew house specs into the software. (ie trub loss / evaporation rate)

Good luck with v1.
First batch went on well, smells great. I think regardless it should turn out alright, I mashed at ~20L, left with around 12-13 litres post-mash with bag out, and sparged it up to around 22L and boiled down to 19. Smelt fantastic! It's currently at stage 1 of fermenting in primary. Will keep an eye on

Back