Making bacon on Landline ABC tv

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha,I cracked a beer and sat down to watch Landline in the shed today,when the segement for bacon was shown I thought, yep this strory will get some legs on AHB.

Bribie G said:
Most bacon is made from frozen pork imported from God knows where. I've commented on the ABC page.

The all Aussie product is more expensive, but worth it.
I make my own bacon at home. I can buy it cheaper, but you can have that water injected tasteless shit. You have not had bacon until you have made and eaten your own......

Beercus

beercus, what is your process? I made some recently with some himalayan salt and maple syrup. Cured in a vac sealed bag for 10 days and smoked at 80 degrees with some yellow box for two days. That was pork belly. It turned out ok but more like very gently cooked pork.I would love some tips or suggestions. Regards Dave

There's a great thread in brew food section about home made bacon.
Best stuff I've ever eaten is my own.

djar007 said:
beercus, what is your process? I made some recently with some himalayan salt and maple syrup. Cured in a vac sealed bag for 10 days and smoked at 80 degrees with some yellow box for two days. That was pork belly. It turned out ok but more like very gently cooked pork.I would love some tips or suggestions. Regards Dave
I get the butcher to save me a short middle (I do about 5kgat a time) I then trim and use a dry brine. I put it in a bag and seal it up. It stays in the fridge for about 7 days ( the brine removed liquid from the meat and the bag ends up all liquid), flipping it over every day. I then rinse it and leave it in the fridge over night to form a pellicle.

I then smoke it on a very low heat until the internal temp is about 90oC. Once cooled I slice and freeze.

http://smokedandcured.com.au has some prepared brines that you can use, the maple one is good. Or you can buy cure#1 from them and make your own mix ( let me know if you want a recipe), if you do your own you can add anything, tyme is a great herb to add to bacon cure.

To smoke you do not need anything fancy, I use my hooded bbq, strip it back so that all that there is only one gas element and 1 grill plate. I then use the A-maze smoker (also available from the website above) with some pellets. With one element on in the BBQ on low and the bacon at the other end, it keeps the perfect temp. I use the same process for ham, ribs, chicken, brisket, anything I want to smoke. With the BBQ off you can even smoke cheese! Maybe I should attempt to smoke some grains....

Rulman's books are good for this kind of stuff. here is a version of his recipe: http://frombellytobacon.com/2010/03/17/making-bacon-at-home-the-ruhlman-way/

Enjoy
Beercus

It was a good segment on Landline, which rarely fails to deliver to be honest, but I will now be looking for that pink square sticker when buying my bacon.

Why is it our Politicians bend over backwards to the free trade bullshit at the expense of our country, now a pork dump site!

I saw the segment also.I never realised I was buying imported pork until yesterday.But at least it is processed here.
Where I live in the Philippines they don't make bacon on a very big scale,which is a shame because they have so many pigs there.(Unfortunately the few processors who do make bacon don't do a very good job of it).
I think I might have a crack at doing my own next time I go back.(I am here with the Mrs for 3 months showing her a very small portion of Oz.)
Sourcing the right ingredients will probably the hardest trick of the lot.

I make a pancetta-styled bacon, without nitrates or smoking. The cure is a simple Tuscan mix of salt, brown sugar, heaps of black pepper, some dried chilli & a small amount of whatever Italian herbs I feel like. I get a bit of pork belly of about a kilo, rub it in the mix and stash it in a pyrex tray in the fridge covered in glad wrap. Every day, I pour off the liquid, turn the pork over and sometimes rub on a bit more cure. Depending on how far you want to take it, you can go three days (petit sale style, good cooked whole & eaten with lentils & hot mustard) or four to five days. Seven days will probably mean some de-salting needed before use. I then rinse gently, pat dry & wrap in baking paper before storing in the fridge. It'll dry out slowly in the fridge, but you can cut into it & cook it up as soon as the cure is done. Super simple, no wet brine involved & tasty.

Back