Catalyst

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHB

Reaction score
ABC TV tonight, If you havent seen it it might be worth a look
Mark

Catalyst
The Big Brew Challenge

8:31PM - 9:30PM
CC
REPEAT
Chef Paul West celebrates the science of beer, as three teams of budding brewmasters take on the challenge to make their best home brew. They must impress a panel of international judges.

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY | AUSTRALIA | 2022 | NC

ABC TV tonight, If you havent seen it it might be worth a look
Mark

Catalyst
The Big Brew Challenge

8:31PM - 9:30PM
CC
REPEAT
Chef Paul West celebrates the science of beer, as three teams of budding brewmasters take on the challenge to make their best home brew. They must impress a panel of international judges.

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY | AUSTRALIA | 2022 | NC

Thanks Mark
It was an interesting look inside the processes used in a small professional brewhouse. I love the idea that I can now drink a beer and eat a steak knowing that I am potentially saving the planet!
Cheer n Beers
Jolls

I thought overall it was well done given the constraints.

I was hoping for a little more science, though - it wouldn't have taken much for them to slip a little bit more in for the more scientifically minded viewer (e.g. they said the souring bacteria produces acid when they could have said lactic acid). And I found the side-bar on the mammalian lactic acid fermentation cycle to be a bit off topic, given everything else was about yeast fermentation.

A few minor bloopers in there too. One example, it seemed like they implied fermentation was a byproduct of reproduction.

The Voyager malt section was the most interesting for me. I was surprised by some of the modern industrial process, as my only prior knowledge of the mechanics of the mechanics was floor malting from some distillery visits in Scotland.

Also I wanted to hear more tasting notes on the final beers!

I thought overall it was well done given the constraints.

There wasn't a great del on the science but the application of the science I though was pretty good. I'. with you on the bicycle ride - a bit left field.

Agree with most of the comments above. Think it was an interesting "popular science" view of brewing, good to see the whole process laid out. I think the one point that brewers need to take onboard is that everything is part of a process and each step depends on what went before.

Nice to see a few of ladies involved, there aren’t enough in the industry. First met Kirrily on the brewing short corse at Ballarat Uni way back in 02, she is someone who has given a lot to brewing.
Mark

Last edited:
Personelly I dont think it was a show trying to go all the science as there is only so much ya can do in a short program

I thought it was good that they got all walks of life involved , a bloke that was basically blind father and son and the 2 girls

I thought it betrayed anyone can get into brewing and its just not for mucho men

I feel if they went right into town of the science of it all it could have stalled people wanting to try Homebrewing and turning them away.

yeah sure science can play a big part and some of you love that aspect, but is this how yopu want to attract people to the craft wanting to know all the sciences

Back