Made bottle bombs, help! :/

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I don't understand why most were perfect but some were explosive. The only similar trait I may have seen was that the real gushing ones were all next to one another (I think)."

"i find that not every bottle is the same that may because beer on the bottom of fermenter is different to beer on the top."

The last few bottled from the fermenters could be the problem as if they were all next to each other it could follow that they came from a particular section in the fermenter. I think it is the only logical reason from info given.

Cheers

Thanks Dave70. I've got a lot to learn.

grott said:
"

The last few bottled from the fermenters could be the problem as if they were all next to each other it could follow that they came from a particular section in the fermenter. I think it is the only logical reason from info given.

Cheers
That's what I thought. I mentioned it to my LHBS who said that C02 production is proportional to secondary sugar addition, not yeast levels.

That is, some bottles could have had 20x the amount of yeast than others, but if the same portion of sugar is added, there should be the exact same amount of C02. Is that right? Sounds reasonable to me

Good point, but could there be "unfermented sugars" settled near the bottom of the fermenter. I may be wrong here but I don't think you get a 100% conversion rate. Someone more knowledgeable may help out here.
Cheers

unfermented sugars could the top of the sediment have these and cold crashing make drop onto the sediment .

A suggestion for future reference: I always label with a B the caps on bottles filled when the fermenter is nearly empty, and with a BB the very last one. They generally end up with more sediment, especially the BB. They do not usually have off-flavours, but the one time I had gushers they were the worst.

Most everything mentioned by the other commenters is plausible, except that unfermented sugars would not settle; they're too soluble. Also, you might have picked up wild yeast when bottling, and they munched some unfermented sugars, especially at 35 C.

If it's only some of the bottles, you could have your capper and sanitized caps ready when you open them, but the suggestion about chilling first and wearing protective gear, goggles at least, is a good one.

grott said:
Good point, but could there be "unfermented sugars" settled near the bottom of the fermenter. I may be wrong here but I don't think you get a 100% conversion rate. Someone more knowledgeable may help out here.
Cheers
If there were unfermented sugars left in the fermenter and consistant fg readings (fermentation complete) then transferring the beer into a bottle wont make it ferment.

Latest posts

Back