Made bottle bombs, help! :/

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only 2 have blown then most likely it's just that those 2 bottles may not have been cleaned/sanitized properly. Still, stick them away somewhere safe for a couple of weeks an see if any more go up.

seamad said:
If only 2 have blown then most likely it's just that those 2 bottles may not have been cleaned/sanitized properly. Still, stick them away somewhere safe for a couple of weeks an see if any more go up.
+1

Particularly as the others you opened did not (presumably) spew froth everywhere

TheWiggman said:
As slcmorro said, there's been conjecture here (and elsewhere) about the impact of priming cold conditioned beer as it will contain dissolved CO2 . From Brewersfriend:

"However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point"

I've sugar primed lagers from a CCed brew at ~1°C and didn't notice and extreme carbonation difference, certainly not enough for bottle bombs.
I'm leaning towards infection. Have you opened a different stubbie to see if the others are heavily primed?
I've always gone by highest fermentation temp. Now I'm no scientist, but I really struggle to believe that the amount of c02 in a headspace would
A) all be absorbed during crash chill - if it was we'd get pretty consistently oxidised
And
B) anywhere near as much as the c02 that is lost during a 2 or 4 degree ramp at the end of fermentation.

I've used bulk prime calculator residual c02 based on highest temp for ales, lagers and high fermenting saisons and it always seems about right.

Happy to be corrected by someone who actually knows stuff about things, of course...

Also, I think people get a bit down on carb drops. They are not for every style but 2 in 750ml is perfect for hefes and Belgians.

seamad said:

Blind Dog said:
+1

Particularly as the others you opened did not (presumably) spew froth everywhere
Ok good I'll try that. Only 2 have blown, 1 from each batch. It's been at least 24hrs since the first blow, and I'm not sure if they happened simulataneously, as in, the explosion from one bottle blew out the next (I didn't hear anything / mustn't have been home)
The others opened, poured and tasted normal (nothing that gives me a hint of infection). Just a bit of extra head in my heavy wheat beer.

I'll open a bottle from each batch tomorrow night and see if there is heaps of extra gas gushing out of them. I have to do a double shift now so no beers for me (I can't open them and not drink them!)

Here's a short clip showing the bubbling activity in my wheat beer. It had been open for about a minute before I got my camera ready to record. Does it look over carbed? Or is it something you cannot determine visually?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KX5_FMbSnw

It tastes fine, it doesn't super gush when you open the bottle, and no other ones have blown, just the initial 2.

I think the real test is how it goes when you open the bottle. Looking at the glass is guess it would fizz up, but does it gush over the top?

SOMETHING was wrong with those two bottles. The risk I guess is if one or two more have the same issue. If you have al the bottles in a cold fridge now it should be safish...

Are you 100% sure the bottles are 750ml and adding 2 carb drops?

A friend of mine had exactly the same problem, it turned out to be a pint glass he had got on special. The bubbles would "pour out of a particular spot near the bottom of the glass like cascading fire works, a flaw in the glass. Hope this is your problem as well.
Cheers

375ml or 330ml stubbles? That is a VERY active carbonation.. I'd be careful of it were you. I have had similar but not that active after a few seconds and defiantly not well after a minute.

I'm not sure if they are 330 or 375ml. I'll have to check tonight.
I'll try popping a few and recapping and see what the results are like after a week or so.

Ok, first of all, thank you so much for your help so far. I've really been encouraged by all the help offered in the last few months.

There was about 50 bottles across 2 mini batches (10L), brewed on different days, fermented for nearly the same time, about 12-13 days or so. Both had stable FG readings over 3-4 days

About 5 blew up in my garage, 2 from the first batch, 3 from the second.

So I've just gone and popped all my caps off the (330ml) bottles. I'm very confused to what may have caused this and how to prevent for the future.

About half of the bottles sounded perfect, appropriate amount of bubbles in the bottle.
Then about 5 had audibly more gas (PSSSSHT on opening).
About 5-10 had enough gas to start to bubble up the bottle neck and slowly ooze out everywhere.
And a few started to GUSH out everywhere as soon as I opened them, it was as though I had been shaking them for 5 minutes prior!

I don't understand why most were perfect but some were explosive. The only similar trait I may have seen was that the real gushing ones were all next to one another (I think). But they were out of sunlight, all in the same room (milk crate), so I don't know why it would occur like this.

I did so many new things in these 2 batches that I'm not even sure what to think it could be.

1. It was my first full volume BIAB (my prior perfect batch was a mini mash BIAB)
2. I used a different brand of carbonation drops (Brew Cellar)
3. It was my first time using Brewmate and coming up with my own final ingredient weights.
4. It was my first time using 10L jerry cans as fermenters.
5. First time no-chilling.
6. First time using glad wrap lids.
7. I very well may have over pitched my dry yeasts (obviously designed for 23L batches).
8 First time cold crashing

I'm a bit bummed. My brews were just getting better and better. After listening to some podcast, the host was encouraging people to go straight into all grain / biab as soon as they can. I thought it sounded good, and read up as much as I could from multiple magazines and forums. I thought I knew enough to not make explosive bombs! :(

I think I may go back a few notches and do something simpler next time.
Lets hope my current brew won't explode. It's been placed into quarantine for the next few weeks...

I'd really recommend bulk priming instead of carbonation drops, it is slightly more effort but you should end up with more accurate (and flexible) priming.
There ate a number of factors that could be at play, but I'd suggest either the drops are inconsistently sized (even slight changes can be a big deal in 330ml) or you have some infected bottles. Bulk priming will help with a), not do much b) :)
It could also be that you bottled too early, but you'd probably see more consistent over carbonation in that case.

With the cold crashing and not bulk priming i find that not every bottle is the same that may because beer on the bottom of fermenter is different to beer on the top. Bulk priming would mix the beer.

InterCooL said:
I did so many new things in these 2 batches that I'm not even sure what to think it could be.

1. It was my first full volume BIAB (my prior perfect batch was a mini mash BIAB)
2. I used a different brand of carbonation drops (Brew Cellar)
3. It was my first time using Brewmate and coming up with my own final ingredient weights.
4. It was my first time using 10L jerry cans as fermenters.
5. First time no-chilling.
6. First time using glad wrap lids.
7. I very well may have over pitched my dry yeasts (obviously designed for 23L batches).
8 First time cold crashing

Probably 99% none of the above.
With the many online calculators, bulk priming is a piece of piss and delivers the goods far more consistently - assuming you enter accurate numbers.
Don't get disheartened over one crook batch. I doubt the'd be a brewer - even the vastly experienced ones - on this board who hasn't had even their beat laid plans go tits up.
Those billions of micro organisms at the heart of the process we think we've go tamed and pinned down to a style will still throw the odd curve ball occasionally. I've got a batch of pilsner in crates that's like playing Russian roulette when you crack the bottles. Most are fine, then POP!! - hissssss.. Why? I dunno. They were bottled side by side and I was sober at the time.

Don't be taking it 'back a few notches and do something simpler next time', thats and a slippery slope that will see your rig on e bay and you scanning the weekly Liquorland specials. Get back on the horse man.

Latest posts

Back