Mac's Hop Rocker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid

Reaction score
Just bought some of Mac's hop rocker pilsner, thought this was a great drop anyone had a go at brewing it?
Say's on the bottle that it has a portion of crystal with the standard lager malt, giving itself some room for serious hop addition's, NZ sauvin up front and in combination with NZ cascadeto finish.

One for me to try I reckon.

Just bought some of Mac's hop rocker pilsner, thought this was a great drop anyone had a go at brewing it?
Say's on the bottle that it has a portion of crystal with the standard lager malt, giving itself some room for serious hop addition's, NZ sauvin up front and in combination with NZ cascadeto finish.

One for me to try I reckon.

This beer got me off into the world of Sauvin.

I do a kit version loosely based on Hop rocker.

Plain kit like Canadian
400g of steeped crystal
30g of NS at 30 mins
20gm Cascade at 10mins
20gm NS at 5 mins
1272 fermented low say about 16
21L

It has more hops than Mac's and a different profile.

You could flip the Cascade and NS around and go with a clean lager yeast to go pretty close.

Not sure about AG version.

But that is a start for you

This was my first attempt with a HR Clone...

5kg Pilsner Malt (2.8 SRM)
300gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
100gm Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)

15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
15.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
25.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] Dry Hop 4 days
10.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] Dry Hop 4 days

IBU 33 - .66 IBU/SG - 1.050 - 23 litres

Wyeast Pils / or Budvar / or US05 at a push

Having talked with one of the head brewers at Lion (they brew it here in Christchurch) he said to push the IBU up to 35 ish and hit it with late hops, no need to dry hop. Yeast is an inhouse cultured strain, but I have made it with w34/70 which comes across nicely.

I no longer dry hop and have more NS up front to push the IBU.
PS: I brew this as my house pils (probably tweak it every now and again).

Great beer this. Thanks for the clone ideas Sumo im going to give this a crack soon!

nice beer! Surprised to find it is a lager - tasted like an Ale!

I actually had one of these followed by a Little Creatures Pale Ale, and the Hop rocker although tasting similar in some ways, easily won over the LCPA for flavour and aroma. LCPA is definetly not the same thing anymore - but I wont go into that!

Oh and also a decent price considering it is an import!

If one was to try and do an extract brew based on the receipe below what LME would you choose?
Extra Pale? Just wondering what the equalivant LME is.

Pete

5kg Pilsner Malt (2.8 SRM)
300gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
100gm Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)

15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
15.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
25.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] Dry Hop 4 days
10.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] Dry Hop 4 days

IBU 33 - .66 IBU/SG - 1.050 - 23 litres

Wyeast Pils / or Budvar / or US05 at a push

Having talked with one of the head brewers at Lion (they brew it here in Christchurch) he said to push the IBU up to 35 ish and hit it with late hops, no need to dry hop. Yeast is an inhouse cultured strain, but I have made it with w34/70 which comes across nicely.

Havent done an extract batch for many years... but thats what Id be using Pete. Steep the crystal to get some colour and flavour.

Had this on tap at the macs brewery bar in wellington and it was easily the best beer i had in nz, havent seen it here in oz yet, might be time to make myself a cloner! Cheers

I actually had one of these followed by a Little Creatures Pale Ale, and the Hop rocker although tasting similar in some ways, easily won over the LCPA for flavour and aroma. LCPA is definetly not the same thing anymore - but I wont go into that!

hey ya sumo, good to hear you tried it out, your recipe looks pretty much what i thought I'd try, thanks for the tip on the dry hopping & ingreients, I'll definately try it out..........damn, I didn't try this beer till a few days ago and it's good to see Mac's with a great beer...........I'll drink this if I run short again.

Yep, I reckon it's close the LC brew myself, I make my little creatures brew slightly different to recipe on aussy brewer ..... I bitter more up front, so it's very close to the Macs hop rocker.........I reckon the use of sauvin up front makes a good tasting beer for sure............ gives it that little bit more punch.

Just the other week i was drinking Macs hop rocker fresh from the tap at the wellington brewrey in NZ its a ripper beer fresh.

Latest posts

Back