M44 Mangrove Jacks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
I have grabbed a few different packs of Mangrove Jack yeast to try out. And as I get them bottled and tested, I'll write a review or some information as I find it.

This is the worst review, in the sense I brewed ambient in Qld (even in winter inside, this is a problem). I have learned not to do this anymore, with anything except a saison.

The reason I tried ambient, is that the M44 range says up to 23 degrees and my home isn't that hot, so 'why not'.

So take this 'review' in that light.

Positives:

No lag time (I rehydrated) unlike BRY97. This thing was up and running in about 5 hours, with some visible krausen.

Flocculates well, unlike US05. Dropped clear and clean and quickly.

No diacetyl, especially despite the higher brewing temps.

Negatives:

I don't know, but this thing has aceyltihyde despite the range written on the pack. So I'd ferment at 20 or below, as I do with BRY 97 and US05. This was started below 20 degrees, and worked up from there.

Yet to be determined:

Good temp range (I'll have a crack at 20 degrees next time)

Whether the hops being scrubbed is a temp based or a yeast based issue (or neither and the Crosby Farms Exp varieties don't have that much aroma).

After some discussion at the most recent Vic case swap there were comments along the lines of "I don't use US-05 any more, M44 is my go-to yeast". I've used it twice on a pale ale and amber ale. I found that it did a good job pushing both malt and hops. Took off at a reasonable rate and while not an outstanding flocculator, resulted in relatively clear beer. High attenuation, a 1.045 will get down to 1.009 with no trouble.
I've never used US-05 but have used 1056. I'd use M44 any day for an APA or similar beer. Does a far better job than M10 workhorse.

Thanks Wiggaman.

It seems like it'll do the job, I haven't given it the best environment, but impressed so far.

There's so little information or discussion on the web about its performance, I thought I'd chuck it out there for future use.

And it's funny, sometimes I'll read about an ingredient I haven't used and I'll see my own comments from several years back.

All my early IPAs used M44. I was always very happy with the results (except I was always chasing more aroma). At some point I read someone on a forum claim that M44 scrubbed hop aroma, so I just stopped using it.

In hindsight I'm not so sure about that claim. These days I'm happy with my IPA aromas, but suspect that the improved aroma has little to do with using different yeasts and more due to the fact I've now added a couple of steep hop additions at specific temperatures.

I have used the M44 a few times now. I prefer it over US05 and M10. It cleans up nicely and I haven't had any lag issues with it. I no longer use BRY-97 because of this. I still use the M10 and US05 as they are the only yeasts that I can get easily at my LHBS. M44 is one of the few yeasts I would consider buying in bulk.
Cheers
LB

TheWiggman said:
After some discussion at the most recent Vic case swap there were comments along the lines of "I don't use US-05 any more, M44 is my go-to yeast". I've used it twice on a pale ale and amber ale. I found that it did a good job pushing both malt and hops. Took off at a reasonable rate and while not an outstanding flocculator, resulted in relatively clear beer. High attenuation, a 1.045 will get down to 1.009 with no trouble.
I've never used US-05 but have used 1056. I'd use M44 any day for an APA or similar beer. Does a far better job than M10 workhorse.
That would have been me - I've all but eliminated US05 in favour of M44. It kicks off quicker, doesn't get in the road of the hops and flocculates better. Handled a triple IPA (10%) just fine, including bottle conditioning without any issues. Massive fan.

Just checking in to provide feedback after my recent use of M44:

It makes great beer. I reckon I might now use it regularly again for IPAs. I'd like more aroma, but I'm always chasing more aroma no matter what the yeast.

In fact, I mashed and pitched M44 in another batch yesterday.

Going to try this next brew. Have done a lot of US-05, so will be good to compare

Fantastic yeast. I use it in preference to US05 now. I have it fermenting in a blonde ale, and its happily ticking along at 16'.

If only they'd bring back the 500g packs. Are you listening #mangrovejacks ?

Oh - and further to my post above #8: The beer tasted great fresh; just 6 days after bottling (bottle primed).

I just used some of this for the first time in a 1.065 AIPA and pitched with Nottingham, done down to 1.012 in 4 days, will be drinking it Saturday.

I just used some of this for the first time in a 1.065 AIPA and pitched with Nottingham, done down to 1.012 in 4 days, will be drinking it Saturday.
4 days! Nice....

What temp did you ferment at? I'm going to try it in my next brew - a Pirate Life clone.

I pierced mine to 18 degree 1.054 wort yesterday at 2:30pm and we have zero activity over 27 hours later. Rehydrated as per instructions (albeit accidentally about 5 degrees higher than their recommended range). Read a few reviews that it can take about 48 hours, but I'm going to bump it to 20 degrees and if it hasn't taken off by tomorrow afternoon I'm going to pitch another packet.

hmmm, i'm inspired to use it again. i used it in an ipa and perhaps it was just all the negative reviews of it stripping hop character, but i haven't used it since. might try it again because us-05 is a pain in the ass to clear.

I just checked again and the airlock gave me a small blop, so about a 36 hour lag time. Hopefully it's going nuts in the morning.

Never had an issue with clearing us-05...

I find if you don't aerate, or let the wort stream break up and splash/foam into the FV it can be a long 36hr lag.

Fwiw, I recently had a pacific ale clone pitched with M44 finish 2 points high (though that might be the vagaries of FG estimation), and the yeast cake has now stalled 8 points high for 3 weeks on an Amber ale at 19-20*c.
I'm wondering if I didn't aerate enough at pitching.
I certainly thrashed it around a fair bit, but I can't see why else it's finished so high.
V v annoying!!

Latest posts

Back