M44 Mangrove Jacks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked mine on Saturday and it was down to 1.018. I bumped the temp up to 20 (from 18) and dry hopped after that. Checked it tonight and it's down to 1.010 [emoji15] was aiming for 5.4% but it's already 5.8%. Ah well - tastes and smells very good! I do think I prefer US-05 though to be honest, but I'll reserve my final opinion until it's crashed, kegged and carbed.

Has anyone had any issues with a bit of heat in their finished M44? My beer has only been kegged and force carbed since Saturday, but I'm definitely sensing a little bit of heat in the finish with this one....

Gave 444 a go, seemed a little moist in the packet (not completely dry). Fermentation started off okay but seemed to stall pretty quickly. FG at 1.010 so kegged it. Final beer has a 'yeasty' flavour and a fair bit of sediment, not too keen on this one...

My usual suppliers don't carry MJ yeasts, but I'll try them when I can. Re BRY-97, my lag times have been 10-20 hours after pitching at 18. Once I pitched at 20 and it took only 8 hours. All the brews were in the 1.045-1.055 OG range. I do not aerate and do attemperate according to Danstar's extended instructions.

I rarely use US05 in APA or IPA anymore. MJ44 is a great yeast, allows the hops to punch through, drops out nicely and is super clean fermented at 18. It does seem to be a lower attenuator than 05, so adjust mash temps. I do find it needs a couple of weeks in the keg to hit its straps.

Agreed on the New World Strong. I've currently got two brews pitched within a day of each other, one on New World Strong and the other (an American Wheat) on a packet of US-05 that has been hanging around in the fridge and I needed to use it up.

It will be interesting to see the results but I bet the New World Strong will be done and dusted in half the time of the US-05.

Will have to give M42 a go, sounds like it works well.

Trying to get organised to do an Australia day brew. I found a big rainwater tank nearby I can get access to, so no more dodgy tap water. Hooray! Will have to add some nutrient though.

Why nutrient?

My M44 pitched Wednesday, all done and clearing from the top already. Sunday.

Will be interesting to see what your FG is?

Just guessing the rainwater will be lacking in nutrients? .. To keep the yeasties happy?

38 ppm Unobtanium is the go. If using San Diego SuperYeast best to avoid the Kryptonite.

Lol. Well at least I'll check the mash pH and have a bit of calcium on hand if required

Brewed a Pale Ale and now IPA using M44. IPA was on first beer slurry. Both high >85% attenuation; 1.048 to 1.005 (5.5%) and 1.057 to 1.006 (6.7%). Didn't cold crash the first beer before kegging so it's still pretty murky 1 week in the keg. Will cold crash the ipa in the fermenter and the ditch this yeast cake heard average results from subsequent repitches). Both tasting good, seem balanced but its been a few years since i brewed so I don't have current experience with anything else to compare. Got M42 for the next brew on the production line (RIS @1.092).

Back