Lpg cask breather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstacey

Reaction score
Has anyone done the lpg bbq regulator conversion to make a CO2 cask breather (of sorts)? I have been in the shed looking at an old regulator and cannot remove the existing hose threads - almost looks like it has been epoxied in.

Is it best to buy a new regulator with no hoses attached and do regular bsp (of the correct diameter) screw in hose barbs normally fit? It would be nice to find a store with the bare regulators where I can try different hose barbs, but alas...

I made a cask breather from a new LPG regulator even though I don't use it anymore it certainly did what I wanted it to do.
I removed the fittings that were in the regulator and retapped the inlet thread to 1/4 inch NPT and the outlet to 3/8 inch NPT.

As you stated above, it was a bare regulator, ie - it had fittings (which I removed) but no hoses.

The reason I tapped the threads to NPT was because that suited the tube fittings I had laying around but there is no reason you couldn't use BSP.
I can't remember what the original regulator threads were but the holes were close enough to be able to thread them with an NPT tap.

I have changed redulator tails before - yep they have some kind of sealant on them but they will go with a bit of force.

The one I can't get off is the side that connects to the gas - there is nothing to grip a spanner to.

So fittings are not natively bsp, or they normally would be?

Some have a internal hex allen key behind a mesh screen in the bottle side inlet but also a lot are cast in place and unable to be removed

Latest posts

Back