Low Og

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mullet

Reaction score
All, today I put down a Muntons Wheat Beer kit with 1kg of Morgans Wheat Malt extract. This has resulted in a OG of only 1026/8 which is extremely low.

Any suggestions? I have 11g of K96 yeast in there so I want to give it some work to do. Can I add more fermentables? If so, any suggestions?

Cheers! <_< :huh:

What was the volume of your wort and what temperature were you measuring your gravity at? With the much malt extract you should have had a value closer to 1.038, which leads me to think there is a problem with your hydrometer or the way you measured. You can add a little dextrose if you want a little more alcomohol in it, but I don't think you should need much more than you already have.

David

By Promash 1.027 predicted, so you're on the right money.
Wheat beers aren't meant to be high gravity monsters. Could maybe add some liquid LME to kick it along.
You can always add another can of wheat beer kit and try a two can thing.
But it'll make the beer fairly robust and not as it should be...my opinion only.

What was the volume of your wort and what temperature were you measuring your gravity at? With the much malt extract you should have had a value closer to 1.038, which leads me to think there is a problem with your hydrometer or the way you measured. You can add a little dextrose if you want a little more alcomohol in it, but I don't think you should need much more than you already have.

David

Total of 21L and measured the SG at 26 degrees. The says 1040 to 1044 so I was a bit stunned with 1026!

By Promash 1.027 predicted, so you're on the right money.
Wheat beers aren't meant to be high gravity monsters. Could maybe add some liquid LME to kick it along.
You can always add another can of wheat beer kit and try a two can thing.
But it'll make the beer fairly robust and not as it should be...my opinion only.

Thanks Mika, was looking for a slightly higher kit. But I guess if it tastes right all should be good...

Ooops checked my calcs (I'm a noob to Promsh).
Seems Phonos was closer to the mark.
I was thinking a 1kg can, when the base can is 1.5kg, meaning 2.5kg total of fermentable extract not 2kg as I had first calced for.

Could just be that it wasn't mixed properly (don't worry it will still ferment out OK).
Did you use hot water to disolve all the kit and give it a good stir ?
I know that was a trap I fell into originally.

Ooops checked my calcs (I'm a noob to Promsh).
Seems Phonos was closer to the mark.
I was thinking a 1kg can, when the base can is 1.5kg, meaning 2.5kg total of fermentable extract not 2kg as I had first calced for.

Could just be that it wasn't mixed properly (don't worry it will still ferment out OK).
Did you use hot water to disolve all the kit and give it a good stir ?
I know that was a trap I fell into originally.

Hi Mika,

The brew was well mixed with the can and malt going into well mixed hot water. Meh, just checked it this morning and the SG is at 1010 so getting close to secondary time. Gave it a good stir up and will check it again in a day or so...

Cheers!
Mullet
Who has mostly recovered from the ravages of the Christmas Crippler. Deadly, deadly beer ;)

Back