Lots Of Free Yeast On Top Of Fermented Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter

Reaction score
Just got back after a couple of days away only to find that my JS Amber ale Clone has finished fermenting. No more bubbles from the air lock and the air lock was neutral, equal both sides. I would have thought that normally when fermentation stops a slight positive pressure would remain in the fermenter? OG was 1046, SG now at 1018. Looks a bit high, but maybe it's OK. There was a lot of free yeast cells floating on top of the beer also, never seen this before?

I have now kegged the beer and carbonated it, in the fridge chilling.

Does anyone have any comments to the above??

Thanks and regards,

Airlock neutral just means carbon dioxide isn't pushing through it and maybe being produced at a much lower rate. Airlock neutral doesn't mean fermentation is over.

Even when fermentation is over, you can still have yeast floating on top. Some yeasts are more prone than others. Don't be in a hurry to bottle or keg.

Thanks for the good advice, the yeast in question was US 56.

Airlock neutral just means carbon dioxide isn't pushing through it and maybe being produced at a much lower rate. Airlock neutral doesn't mean fermentation is over.

Even when fermentation is over, you can still have yeast floating on top. Some yeasts are more prone than others. Don't be in a hurry to bottle or keg.

US05 and 1056 (same strain: one liquid, one dry) can in my experience (and others') leave a decent krausen well after ferment is finished.

Depending on other ingredients and conditions though, I would consider leaving it longer and trying a fast ferment test before bottling or kegging.

Could be stalled, could just have slowed down as many ferments are wont to do towards the end.

at 1.018 i would say it wasnt done yet. I have had this happen a bit using this yeast...... it plugs through the easy bit fast and then settles down and finnishes off to aboit 1.010 slowly over a week.

It doesnt always do it, but sometimes it does.

It never hurts to let it stand for a few days and check FG again to see if its moved.

cheers

Think your probably right, but I panicked!, and now beer is in the keg. Will know better next time.

Ingredients were, 3kg of Coopers LME, 300 grms of Crystal, 30 grms of Chocolate malt. Hop additions were Willamette 40 grms at 45min and 20 grms at 5 min. Adjuncts were left to step overnight.

Yum!

Let me know how she turns out.

Latest posts

Back