Lord Nelson Three Sheets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insight

Reaction score
Enjoying a few watching the grand final. Does anyone know the hops used in this one?

Is that the pale ale? According to my hazy recollection of my conversation with the Lord Nelson blokes last weekend, it's cascade and amarillo.

Cheers goat - and yes, its the "Aussie" pale ale. Suprisingly low ratings on ratebeer.com.

Doesn't it mention it on the board above the bar? I was there enjoying a few the other weekend, unfortunately it was a bucks night so thats about all I can remember!

Doesn't it mention it on the board above the bar? I was there enjoying a few the other weekend, unfortunately it was a bucks night so thats about all I can remember!

Could do mate... Its a bit hard to read from my lounge here in Chatswood ;)

When I brewed for LNBH the Three Sheets was all NZ B Saaz. Not sure what Damon's using nowadays.

TIM

well when i brewed for the LNBH...

sorry got caught up. nice to see you revdrjbob.

I found this beer last night at East End Cellars, Adelaide and couldn't help but try it - partially out of curiosity as it doesn't mention style on the label, partially because the staff were of very little help, and partially because I'd already spent a good part of the evening on Fat Yak and couldn't resist the urge to try some more craft brew.

Lovely nose, great hop flavour, somewhat low on body, but not necessarily in a bad way. I couldn't think where to place it style wise - somewhere between an American Pale Ale and a Summer Ale, which I guess you could call Aussie Pale Ale. Would go great in the warmer months.

They also had the 'Old Admiral' but once again - no mention of style on the label. The response from the bar staff was 'it's a dark beer, but it's still fruity, not quite like a stout' which I took to mean they thought the only dark beers were stouts. Might have to give it a go sometime - anyone know what the style is?

The Lord brews six 100% natural ales.

Quayle Ale 4.2% alc/vol.
Summer Ale - A gentle balance between pilsner malt and saaz hops. A warm weather quaffer. Pale gold in colour.

Trafalgar Pale Ale 4.0% alc/vol
English Bitter - Malty and dry on the pallet with emerging bitterness and hop flavours. A great session ale. Gold in colour.

Three Sheets 4.9% alc/vol.
Australian Pale Ale - Delightfully balanced malt, overtones of herbaceous hop characters, citrus flora's and aromas. Medium Gold in Colour. (now available in 330ml bottles)

Victory Bitter 5.0% alc/vol.
Extra Special Bitter - Malty with caramel overtones. Generously hopped with Fuggles for a spicy bitter finish. Amber in colour.

Old Admiral 6.1% alc/vol.
Old Ale - Our strong, full bodied malt driven ale has hints of caramel, balanced with generous hop bitterness. Red with black highlights. (now availble in 330ml bottles)

Nelson's Blood 5.0% alc/vol.
Robust Porter - Espresso and dark chocolate flavours dominate. Rich and creamy with a smooth roasted finish. Black with red highlights.

Direct from the website. The Lord Nelson is a brew pub in Sydney's historic district. A pub crwal all by itself.

Just me, but once you've drunk the tap beer, I've always felt letdown drinking the bottled stuff.

Nelson's Blood :icon_drool2:

I couldnt agree more.
Really enjoyed it on tap last year.
Maybe it has changes since then....

Isnt their bottled stuff not made in house anymore, independent breweries contract it?

I found this beer last night at East End Cellars, Adelaide and couldn't help but try it - partially out of curiosity as it doesn't mention style on the label, partially because the staff were of very little help, and partially because I'd already spent a good part of the evening on Fat Yak and couldn't resist the urge to try some more craft brew.

Lovely nose, great hop flavour, somewhat low on body, but not necessarily in a bad way. I couldn't think where to place it style wise - somewhere between an American Pale Ale and a Summer Ale, which I guess you could call Aussie Pale Ale. Would go great in the warmer months.

They also had the 'Old Admiral' but once again - no mention of style on the label. The response from the bar staff was 'it's a dark beer, but it's still fruity, not quite like a stout' which I took to mean they thought the only dark beers were stouts. Might have to give it a go sometime - anyone know what the style is?

i stayed at the pub last year and loved every night having an old admiral before i headed up to the room. such a great place... such good beer

I've been trying a few of the Three Sheets beers and I'm loving them. Could anyone supply a recipe that I could use to make a similar beer? I'm unfortunately using kits at the moment, but I hope to be going AG next year so any sort of recipe would be appreciated...

Marty

Damn fine pub damn fine beer and damn fine food. Ive been drinking there since 1986 and have always enjoyed it. One of the first brewers there was John Clanon a canadian guy who made great beer including a terrific chilli beer and helped develop Two Dogs lemonade. When he made three sheets it had lots of willamete hops (not sure if that is spelt right) and the three sheets was skewed toward the english style where as now days it has certainly moved towards the US pale ale style with hops accordingly. I stayed there a couple of weeks ago for a function and will be there this coming Tuesday for a beer or two. If you see me say gidday!

Three sheets in the bottle is good as is the Old Admiral I am looking forward to the Nelsons Blood being released as I love that beer!

I occasionally have a three sheets, but I think it is far better fresh or on tap. In my experience, the Old Admiral is always good from the bottle and a fantastic beer... but it and the Blood on tap is something else.

Pint of Blood and the ploughman's and I am a pig in sh*t.

The Couple of times I have been in the Lord I've found the beers to be served at around minus 3 degrees and chill hazed to absolute buggery. Maybe I lobbed up when the work experiece cellarman was on?

The Couple of times I have been in the Lord I've found the beers to be served at around minus 3 degrees and chill hazed to absolute buggery. Maybe I lobbed up when the work experiece cellarman was on?

Agree BG. You have to buy two pints. By the time you have finished the first one, the second one is just the right temp.

cheers
Andrew.

I work just around the corner from the Lord Nelson....Three Sheets is one of my regulars from there. Absolutely fantastic on a friday after work. Really nice atmosphere in the pub as well.

Latest posts

Back