Looking to make a chocolate beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyg8

Reaction score
Hi, Ive done a few BIAB pale ales and a mate wants me to make some sort of chocolate beer.

Does anyone have a good recipe to go by?

Give my Choc Porter a go, it's gotten some great reviews and has won a few awards in local comps

Sp0rk's Choc Porter (Robust Porter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.29 %
Colour (SRM): 34.0 (EBC): 67.0
Bitterness (IBU): 31.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

80.54% Maris Otter Malt
10.5% Munich I
5.4% Chocolate
3.55% Black Roasted Barley

2 g/L East Kent Golding (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale

Notes: 100 grams of Cacao nibs 10 minutes before the end of boil

Sounds good, will give it a go for the next beer.

Have access to keg king close to work this do?
Simpsons - Maris Otter
Joe White - Munich (per kg)
Joe White - Chocolate Malt (per kg)
Joe White - Roasted Barley

mattyg8 said:
Sounds good, will give it a go for the next beer.

Have access to keg king close to work this do?
Simpsons - Maris Otter
Joe White - Munich (per kg)
Joe White - Chocolate Malt (per kg)
Joe White - Roasted Barley
Do these sounds like good replacements for following recipe?

JW malts tend to be maligned but I'm fond of them personally (style dependent). If you want your beer to have an English tilt then you won't get it with JW malts. If you're just going for the chocolate taste, you'll get it with the chocolate malt and cacao nibs.

sp0rk said:
Oops, sorry
Those are the exact malts I used, should work fine
Cheers, Do you know what quantity you used? I only use Ians biab spread sheet atm and makes it hard to work out without some sort of base weights

TheWiggman said:
JW malts tend to be maligned but I'm fond of them personally (style dependent). If you want your beer to have an English tilt then you won't get it with JW malts. If you're just going for the chocolate taste, you'll get it with the chocolate malt and cacao nibs.
Ill give JW a go first and decide for next one

mattyg8 said:
Cheers, Do you know what quantity you used? I only use Ians biab spread sheet atm and makes it hard to work out without some sort of base weights
What size brew are you making? If you give me starting water or batch size for the fermentor I can pop up approx grain weights for you.

TheWiggman said:
Is that just the Dark malts or even the pales?
I'm using Joe White Trad in my Boddingtons clone and it seems good to me... Then again the "real" Boddingtons hasn't been around for many years so memory/tricks.

cheers

Gerry C

ASK Pommiebloke for his receipe... probably one of the best Chocolate porters I have had in a long time.

boddingtons best said:
What size brew are you making? If you give me starting water or batch size for the fermentor I can pop up approx grain weights for you.

I'm using Joe White Trad in my Boddingtons clone and it seems good to me... Then again the "real" Boddingtons hasn't been around for many years so memory/tricks.

cheers

Gerry C
Usually got for about 22L in the fermenter

Young's brews a double chocolate stout, using chocolate malt and cocoa powder. Nice. You could overdo the choc malt, but that would be hard to do with the cocoa.

Well for a final volume of about 22l on my gear you'd be looking at:

4.6 Kg MOPA
0.6 Kg Munich
0.3 Kg Choc Malt
0.2 Kg Roasted Barley

The hops were quoted per litre so you'll be ok there.

Here's another option too - very popular round my place - all quantities for a Corny keg full.

Recipe: Possum Porter
Brewer: Tamarisk Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0) Smooth English porter with a touch of earthy hop character.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 22.25 l
Post Boil Volume: 19.88 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 18.93 l
Bottling Volume: 20.74 l
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 61.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.7 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (6.3 EBC) Grain 2 57.7 %
1.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) UK (2.0 EBC) Grain 3 19.2 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 4 9.6 %
0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 5 8.7 %
0.25 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 6 4.8 %
50.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 29.1 IBUs
10.00 g Old China Hop [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 6.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.01 Yeast 10 -
10.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.20 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 13.57 l of water at 78.1 C 67.8 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.69 l of water at 90.7 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.20 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------
Pilsner malt added to allow for a toasty chocolatey porter that is not too dark in colour but still 5%+ ABV
Old China hops only added to use them up - just sub with extra Fuggles

Cheers and good luck

boddingtons best said:
Subtle differences. If you've ever been to a honey tasting shop there are all sorts of different honeys there - paperbark, wattle, canola, redgum etc. which at the end of the day all taste like honey. Put them next to each other though and you think "yeah, I can see the difference" even though the only thing different is where the pollen came from.
Beers I find are similar. You can use the right malt, hops and yeast to make a Bitter but unless you use an English malt and hop from the region you won't really get that authentic taste. Maybe try Simpsons in your next Boddington's clone and see if it makes a difference. When I started out I was making plenty of little errors that all meant the source of the malt wasn't very relevant, but now I've some sort of control in the brewhouse* I'm being more selective with my malts.

* cluttered garage

TheWiggman said:
Subtle differences. If you've ever been to a honey tasting shop there are all sorts of different honeys there - paperbark, wattle, canola, redgum etc. which at the end of the day all taste like honey. Put them next to each other though and you think "yeah, I can see the difference" even though the only thing different is where the pollen came from.
Beers I find are similar. You can use the right malt, hops and yeast to make a Bitter but unless you use an English malt and hop from the region you won't really get that authentic taste. Maybe try Simpsons in your next Boddington's clone and see if it makes a difference. When I started out I was making plenty of little errors that all meant the source of the malt wasn't very relevant, but now I've some sort of control in the brewhouse* I'm being more selective with my malts.

* cluttered garage
Yes I see what you mean and I might just go out and source some Simpsons as I've got an empty fermentor and plenty of empty kegs :)
I did used to use Marris Otter, but have a sack of Joe White sitting in the garage and the result seemed good with it, so....

I've gone from my old 3 vessel brewhouse to an urn and a sock [BIAB] so still trying to get back in the swing of things.

Still managing to make some nice beer and it's going to be a converted keg BIAB for me from now on so I'll be able to tweak all my temps and techniques over the next few months.
Maybe even enter a comp or 2 see how "good" my beer really is. :huh:

Cheers

sp0rk said:
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale

Notes: 100 grams of Cacao nibs 10 minutes before the end of boil
Seems like keg king doesnt have this yeast what from there range would u recommend

In the White Labs range I'd use WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast, but KK don't have that either
In that case, any English Ale yeast should suffice

sp0rk said:
In the White Labs range I'd use WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast, but KK don't have that either
In that case, any English Ale yeast should suffice
Cheers thanks for that hopefully get down to brewing it this week

Latest posts

Back