• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Looking to do my first all-grain brew....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Im looking to take my first steps into all-grain.
But.. I dont have all-grain gear....

So, at the risk of sounding cheeky, I'd like to put a call out to Brisbane based guys and girls who might have some old all-grain gear to give away or sell off cheap. (Im in Moorooka on the Southside)

Brew Pot
Propane Burner
Lauter Tun
Metal Stirring Spoon
Mash Paddle
Floating Thermometer
Grain Bags
Wort Chiller

If you can help me out, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Gib

You missed me by about six months. I had some cheapish stuff that I got rid of. I was on the inner north, but no biggie there. Moorooka to Wavell Heights would be tiny under the Clem7 and airportlink.

My goodness, the cheek of this chap!

yeah, willing to travel around brissy, no problem.
Cheeky maybe, but if you dont ask, you dont get. ( I blame my old man for giving me that line, lol )
I just dont want to spend a fortune and find out its not for me.
I love K&K brewing at the moment, so kit I can use and build on for AG would be an intro without breaking the bank.
Cheers

is buying an urn and some voile breaking the bank? could easily just BIAB to see if its for you. If not sell it off.

MrGibbon said:
Cheeky maybe, but if you dont ask, you dont get. ( I blame my old man for giving me that line, lol )
I love K&K brewing at the moment, so kit I can use and build on for AG would be an intro without breaking the bank.
Cheers
Go to big w. Grab a 19L pot (or two). They're normally $20 for 1, but I got my 2nd on special.

Go to bunnings, grab two food grade pails and a tap. Should cost a few dollars all up. Make a ghetto lauter with them (or use the BABBs system wars ghetto guys tip and go to a pub and grab 2 used mayo buckets and wash).

If you don't already own an esky, then I'll be suprised.

You should already own a hydrometer. You may own a thermometer. If not they're about $10 from Dick Smith.

Anything extra (plastic spoons, etc) should be in your kitchen drawer. You likely have a stove in your house.

There, you have enough equipment to brew with.

My first post was tongue in cheek too ;) though not helpful!

Lord Raja is on the money.

I've only got a few All Grains under my belt. They all involve the said $20 pot from big W and $10 of swiss voile from spotlight. I mash in the oven. sparge using $3 bunnings washing basket that I drilled holes through, and then boil. Then siphon into the tub once done.

I only get 12 Litres per batch.

Have a look at this as well http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/60922-2-pot-stovetop-ag-with-lauter/

It's not an alternative to Nick's method, more a side step/what can you do with what you have.

I've got 38L of Bitter at 1.040 out of this method as my biggest brew (though a boilover was offering itself to me). So budget brewing of quality AG beer is possible.

Do a stocktake on what you already own, have a look and go from there.

I think Nick said the other day, he's never had anyone go "I wish I was still brewing Kit beer" - AG takes you to places you didn't think possible for making beer at home.

Prepare to become quite obsessed with your new hobby. :)

MrGibbon said:
Cheers
Fair play to u bro, if u don't ask u don't get.

Latest posts

Back