Looking For A Good Melb Cbd Bar.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
Planning a night out for my 20th, and need a place to go.
Any suggestions?

Obviously it need few good beers on tap
Some kind of cheap beer special ($10 jugs or something, uni students)
And accomadates for all drinkers (cocktails, spirits ect...)

Thanks.

Mrs Parmas
Bar Fred
Edinburgh Castle
Brunswick Green
Local taphouse (only one of the above I haven't been to)

Not all CBD but inner city and easy to reach by tram

Edinburgh castle and brunswick green stand out because they are not as beerworthy as the others. However both have a few decent tap and bottled beers, both are cheap and both do good food. Also both have beer gardens.

Penny Blues
Cookie
Parmas
Grumpys Green
Bimbos
Deco Bar

Not a bad pub crawl!

Most of these places seem pretty fancy. I just gotta work out which ones to go to. Problem is most of these places don't have websites, and the ones that show their prices seem pretty steep.
Also, i'd like to stay fairly close to CBD, as no one drives really, so it saves time on travel. But then again if its a really good place maybe its worth a look.

Any other suggestions?

manticle, i dunno if we can be bothered going out to brunswick, as it will be a late one and public transport can be a bitch.

Go to Mrs parmas then. Not fancy at all, decent prices, decent food, decent beer.

You know brunswick is as far away as when the city sneezes right? I can walk into the city from brunswick

Yeah? I'm from a bit further out, so my knowledge of the area isn't so good. One night when we went to brunswick for drinks one night the trams were not running so we couldn't get back into the city for the night rider haha.
I think i will go to Mrs Parmas, and not be a tight-ass for once.

Oxford Scholar on Swanston St. is a nice place for uni students. Food has also dropped in price recently which is pretty good. They have jugs of draught and boags (if you like that stuff) for around the $12 mark, never bought one so wouldnt know the exact price to be honest. But plenty of different beers on tap and one cider (Bulmers :icon_cheers: ). Also seems to have plenty of spirits etc and the staff are pretty friendly.

Enjoy

Aaron

The Lounge in Swanston St is also good, cheapish jugs, nice balcony and most nights will have good tunes playing. Cookie across the road too but can be expensive.

Oxford Scholar on Swanston St. is a nice place for uni students. Food has also dropped in price recently which is pretty good. They have jugs of draught and boags (if you like that stuff) for around the $12 mark, never bought one so wouldnt know the exact price to be honest. But plenty of different beers on tap and one cider (Bulmers :icon_cheers: ). Also seems to have plenty of spirits etc and the staff are pretty friendly.

Enjoy

Aaron

I was a weekly visitor of the OX for a number of years but we stopped going. Glad to hear the food price has dropped to what the quality probably still is. The parma used to be great but last visit it went to a tiny out of the box bit of crumbed chicken rather than the real smashed chicken that we used to get. Squires amber and golden is about as good as you will get for tap beer which is fine but if you are looking for a decent micro or two the OX isn't for you.

The Sherlock Holmes on Collins st between Queen and William st is a different story as far as parma's and beers on tap go. The salami parmi is great and you can find a decent selection of changing micros on tap like Holgate, Heargraves etc and some decent UK beers too. Def worth the $5 extra for the bill and the underground bar is quite cosy and decent crowd.

Bimbos is a pretty cool place, plenty of different areas to go in there and also stock good beer. Quite likely to have specials too.

Biero (525 Little Lonsdale Street Biero) also looks good, been meaning to drop in. They use 'Beer Vaults'. Basically sucking beer out of bottles and 'kegging' it in this clear tube above the bar. Means they can have beers on tap which aren't available on keg and can offer glasses cheaper than buying bottles in most bars.

Dont forget Penny Blue as well, its a hidden gem. 2 Driver Lane, Melb.

Latest posts

Back