• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Looking For A Cheap Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
It looks like my plans to go AG have been knocked on the head for now (dental work is a bitch) so I'm going to increase my Partials capability with a bigger pot, and aim for a 50% grain bil. Anyone have a 20 to 30 litre pot (whatever I can boil on an electric stovetop) they want to get rid off ? Inner Sydney area preferred. Happy to pay if it's cheap, and happy to swap if anyone's interested in trading for a gatorade cooler that I won't be using

I'm a bit far away to help you with a pot.
However I've done 2kg mashes successfully with a 10L pot on stovetop. For a 50% grain bill I'd go 20 litres and BIAB and you should be able to handle bills of say 2.5 to 3 kg with ease and completely solves the need to buy extra vessels for mashing and sparging which can end up almost as expensive as some AG gear. Any bigger than 20L and you would be pushing it on a stovetop IMHO. Reviled of NZ started off with such as system, although with a burner, if he's reading this he may have some hints for you.

Big W have pots up to 20L often on special for around $20 so why not just grab one of theirs? When you go AG a big pot is a good item to have, I use mine for boiling up rice or polenta, carrying sparge water around etc etc.

Cheers
BribieG

On reading the title of this thread, I thought we were talking about something else entirely :ph34r:

I'm a bit far away to help you with a pot.
However I've done 2kg mashes successfully with a 10L pot on stovetop. For a 50% grain bill I'd go 20 litres and BIAB and you should be able to handle bills of say 2.5 to 3 kg with ease and completely solves the need to buy extra vessels for mashing and sparging which can end up almost as expensive as some AG gear. Any bigger than 20L and you would be pushing it on a stovetop IMHO. Reviled of NZ started off with such as system, although with a burner, if he's reading this he may have some hints for you.

Big W have pots up to 20L often on special for around $20 so why not just grab one of theirs? When you go AG a big pot is a good item to have, I use mine for boiling up rice or polenta, carrying sparge water around etc etc.

Thanks Bribie for the info. I already have an 8 litre pot which i using for 1kg, but after I sparge with another pot there's precious little head-room for my boil. It's a very dodgy method, but I hit the targets, so it works. WIth a bigger pot will come a BIAB bag AND a hop sock, becuase Im so sick of strining out the vegetable material.

I'll pop into the shopping centre and look at Big W / K-Mart et on Saturday if no-one has one. There's also big asian kitchen store near me, and I have seen huge pots. Regardless, I can't argue with twenty bucks. Although perhaps I should buy an auto siphon, considering the reports that the handles on the cheapies are a bit flimsy.

On reading the title of this thread, I thought we were talking about something else entirely :ph34:
I bet you're not the only one leigh...

Thanks Bribie for the info. I already have an 8 litre pot which i using for 1kg, but after I sparge with another pot there's precious little head-room for my boil. It's a very dodgy method, but I hit the targets, so it works. WIth a bigger pot will come a BIAB bag AND a hop sock, becuase Im so sick of strining out the vegetable material.

I'll pop into the shopping centre and look at Big W / K-Mart et on Saturday if no-one has one. There's also big asian kitchen store near me, and I have seen huge pots. Regardless, I can't argue with twenty bucks. Although perhaps I should buy an auto siphon, considering the reports that the handles on the cheapies are a bit flimsy.

Another thing you can do with a smaller system is to very easily do a 'sparge in a bucket' with your BIAB bag using the little pot to prepare the sparge water, and tip the spargings back into the big pot to get a boil of around 18 litres and end up with say 15 litres of full strength wort with a reasonable efficiency as the basis of your partial. With the use of a bit of Malt extract and some sugaz :ph34r: depending on the style you should be able to make some nice beers, especially the hop driven ones.

Edit: I got my 10L from Sams Warehouse for $12 and it has riveted-on handles. The brand name is 'Necessities' and I don't know if they do bigger ones but worth ringing a Sam's maybe. Also ALDI often have stockpots.

Nah I'm not buying anything less than 20litres. Or anything more for that matter. I already have a 10 litre that I have been using for mashes, I really just want to ramp up the grain bill a lot more than present. Big W def. sounds like the way to go.

Yeah I was with the others on the "pot" thing.

BigW 19L pots were $19.95 a few weeks back. A couple of those down a split batch BIAB = equivilant of close to a 40 single pot for BIAB

at $350-$400 per ounce its not cheap.

Ren - an aliminium pot will do you fine. its not like your boiling the crap out of it. ali pots are cheap as and can be found at asian grocery stores/markets/shops etc.

I'll pop into the shopping centre and look at Big W / K-Mart et on Saturday if no-one has one.

You'll definately get one from those places. I got one fromt there years ago when I started doing partials. I think is 19 litre. Did the job for $20.00
Cheers
Steve

at $350-$400 per ounce its not cheap.

Ren - an aliminium pot will do you fine. its not like your boiling the crap out of it. ali pots are cheap as and can be found at asian grocery stores/markets/shops etc.

pots dont grown on trees you know.

ok i'll stop now.

You'll definately get one from those places. I got one fromt there years ago when I started doing partials. I think is 19 litre. Did the job for $20.00
Cheers
Steve

Got 2 of them myself probably 3 years ago as well.

I use them as my HLT.

Thin pots but no issues and the handles are fine.

As a bonus the glass lid fits my kettle perfectly.

Scott

Hey Ren,

I got a 120L Alum. of these guys for $175... Robinox.

They have every size they just don't list all sizes all the time - message them and ask them to list the size you want!

Hope it helps.

Cheers Cocko, but this is a budget mission, until I get an urn. So while appreciate your suggestion, a cheap & nasty from Woolies will be sufficient for now.

And shoot, these guys have cheap urns. $228.00 for a 40 litre Birko. That's going on the Xmas wish list.

Just be really careful with the Woolies/ Big W pots - I have been told by a few people that the handles like to fall off while you're carting 19L of sticky hot wort about. :(

I use oven-mitts and always carry mine from the bottom.

Cheers Cocko, but this is a budget mission, until I get an urn. So while appreciate your suggestion, a cheap & nasty from Woolies will be sufficient for now.

And shoot, these guys have cheap urns. $228.00 for a 40 litre Birko. That's going on the Xmas wish list.

Im sure Jase opps I mean Ren will be able to handle the heat!

It's not some sort of sacred knowledge, you know Katie. You still don't get any points. Although a smiley stamp for trying so hard is in order.

Ok BACK ON TOPIC: Hound, that is a moderate concern, but I think I'll invest in an auto-siphon so I can avoid the chance of this happening entirely. Although I assume the wort would beed to cool down before using such a device. Screwed if I'm going to clean up sticky wort from the kitchen floor, and I'm also not too keen on heat blistered skin.

You get what you pay for, and I have no illusions that a cheap pot is going to be of a high build standard

Back