• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Looking For A Cheap Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Title moderated?!

What a joke.

Renegade, the title wasn't moderated as such, it was edited to help prevent the thread from straying too far from topic.
The edit was intended to help the OP, meaning you, and not for any other reason.

Andrew

It's not some sort of sacred knowledge, you know Katie. You still don't get any points. Although a smiley stamp for trying so hard is in order.

Ok BACK ON TOPIC: Hound, that is a moderate concern, but I think I'll invest in an auto-siphon so I can avoid the chance of this happening entirely. Although I assume the wort would beed to cool down before using such a device. Screwed if I'm going to clean up sticky wort from the kitchen floor, and I'm also not too keen on heat blistered skin.

You get what you pay for, and I have no illusions that a cheap pot is going to be of a high build standard

MMMM I must of missed it all then... dont understand why you would want to re invent yourself.

Are you going to be chilling or no chilling?

If using the auto siphon you will need to cool the wort other wise it will crack.

But it was actually a covert message to all my smokin' bro's in AHB land ! Each thread (apart from Katie's) is us talking in code.

Ok, I'll behave now. For a while.

ANYWAY, so, pots, hey. Thanks to all for your help.

I'll update this thread once I've scored a 20.

Are you going to be chilling or no chilling?

It's only going to be half a batch, the rest will come from liquid extract or LDME or both so I plan on chilling low-brow style (water bath, then clean ice)

Ever thought about just doing "half-batch" (I hate the notion of "batch" as a unit of measure) full-mash brews? Advantages include:

-More variety
-More practice
-Lower losses due to infection
-Easier handling (no lifting 25kg+ of liquid in an awkwardly shaped container)

Nope. And I'll tell you why. Our household drinks a lot of beer :)

Besides that, I'm finding that when the process is 'stepped up' at each stage in the past, the beers are becoming more outstanding. Well aware that I don't need to follow this path, but I actually am enjoying doing so, and observing the differences. So when I get a pot on the weekend, it'll mean that I'm stepping from 500g-750g grain to 1.5kg to 2kg grain, I'll have a greater variety of spec grain at my disposal as well, I'll keep doing these crazy roasting schedules on a bit of base malt in my oven, I'll be changing my process from dodgy sieve-sparging to BIAB and I'll start using a siphon. So it's all good. There's plenty to keep me interested.

Not really concerned about infections, I have only had one out of about 25, and as such my regime is even more stringent with cleaning/sanitising.

In a nutshell I have the patience to wait until I get an urn before doing full-batch-full-AG. And honestly I'm loving the beers I am producing already, so it's not as if there's a rush to move into it right now, especially when I expect that they're going to keep getting better.

Also, the bottom of my 19L Big W pot flexes as it heats up and it spins around on the stove top :blink: , just be sure you are boiling up at least 7-10L of water and it will stay put.

Honestly though, best $20 pot I ever bought - comes with a lid to help boil faster and it fits in my laundry sink for quick cooling before going in the fermenter.

It's not some sort of sacred knowledge, you know Katie. You still don't get any points. Although a smiley stamp for trying so hard is in order.

Ok BACK ON TOPIC: Hound, that is a moderate concern, but I think I'll invest in an auto-siphon so I can avoid the chance of this happening entirely. Although I assume the wort would beed to cool down before using such a device. Screwed if I'm going to clean up sticky wort from the kitchen floor, and I'm also not too keen on heat blistered skin.

You get what you pay for, and I have no illusions that a cheap pot is going to be of a high build standard

Latest posts

Back