RE: New Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmashhit

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking at going all grain after screwing around with partials etc. Went out and did a full brew day at 2 Brothers, so the passion is at an all time high.

I have 2 pots, 1 32l (thinking will be my Boil Kettle) and a 50l (HLT). I'm aiming for around a 20l brew for the shitload of 23l fermenters i have, but can't seem to hit the nail on the head in retards to a mash tun. I'm loving the concept of these insulated eskys, great for temp retention, but where does one find an esky (or a stand up cooler) in this size range? Everything I've found is rectangular, in which the false bottoms them become a concern. Happy to do the drilling and fitting and what not.

Please help this keen young chap who doesn't know the first thing about a mash tun.

J.

EDIT: Or, if anyones selling something in VIC that fits the mold, PM me.

Mate what I can offer here (never done it myself as I used 3 kegs), is that you could use a rectangular esky and make a copper manifold. Basically it's made with copper elbows and T-pieces in a shape of a Trident. You cut 1/3 way through the pipe (have slits facing down) and that's your manifold done. Some esky's collapse under the heat, so I have read you should get a technice style icebox.

Good luck with getting into All Grain! Of course to get cracking, you can do BIAB which will be easy on your 50L pot.

Cheers
Clint

Clints Gadgets said:
Good luck with getting into All Grain! Of course to get cracking, you can do BIAB which will be easy on your 50L pot.

Cheers
Clint
Indeed... I would start off trying some BIAB brews in the 50L pot and go from there...
All of the all-grain goodness without needing any extra equipment apart from some swiss voille or a BIAB-bag

The 50 litre pot will be great for a BIAB.

If you are determined to go 3 vessel, I would use the 32 litre job for the HLT and the 50 litre job for the kettle, rather than what you planned in your original post.

32 litres for a kettle is restrictive if you want to get any decent batch size out of it.
However, you can refill it as an HLT once you have mashed in, and you'll have plenty of water for sparging.

I used this as my mash tun with a copper manifold . Purchased it at the big green shed its a 55lt esky .

tn_gallery_5538_502_1876.jpg

Guys this is all such an incredible help. Gives me a shitload of ideas. Will have a hunt around tomorrow.

I've played with thinking about BIAB, but I am fairly set on 3 tier.

GalBrew, I work at the Park Hotel in Werribee, VIC. We gypsy & contract brew out under the banner of Trailer Park Brewing, and we had a collab with Two Brothers, and handful of us got to go out and brew it in Moorabbin. Chris and Andrew were great at answering all of the big nerdy home brew questions I had, and let me be as hands on as I wanted. Learnt a heap, and can't wait to take this next step.

Latest posts

Back