Looking For A Bock Recipe!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabs

Reaction score
G'day All

If anyone has a good bock recipe I would love to grab it off u!!! Ive been seaching the internet but without any real success.

Thanks in advance!

What sort of recipe do you want? AG? Partial?

If you're after an AG recipe, to be honest a Bock is perhaps one of the simplest recipes you'll ever see: 100% munich malt. If you want it a bit darker and with a bit more pronounced maltiness, substitute 3-5% of the munich with caramunich. Shoot for an OG of at least 1.064, but no more than 1.071. Use only one kettle (bittering addition) and shoot for ~23-25 IBUs; no flavour or aroma hops. Use Wyeast 2308, 2124 or 2206. I tend to prefer 2206.

With Bocks, less is definitely more - as in a simple grain bill favouring munich malt will produce a wonderful beer.

Try this for a 23L post boil volume batch.

4.20 kg Munich Malt
1.80 kg Pilsner Malt
0.20 kg Caramunich Malt
0.20 kg Crystal, Dark
0.10 kg Carafa I
0.10 kg Melanoiden
20.00 gm Magnum 60 min
2 Pkgs White Labs #WLP833r

Or have a look here Paul Rigby's Bock

One of the members of the Amateur Winemakers & Brewers Club of Adelaide made this Helles Bock and it was out of this world. He is apparently lagering the other half of it still, so that should be even better. Below is his recipe from their website;

The Beer was a recipe from "Great beers of the World"
  • Helles Bock
  • Specifications
  • Colour: 6- 8L
  • Bitterness 22 - 28 IBU
  • Original Gravity:
  • 1.064 - 1.070
  • Alc/ vol 6.4 - 6.8%
  • ALL GRAIN (22.5 litres)
  • 3kg Pale malt
  • 2kg Munich malt
  • 1kg Light dried malt extract
  • 60g Hallertauer - full boil
  • 30g Hallertauer - 10 minutes
  • 14g Hallertauer - end boil
  • 1tsp Irish moss
  • Method
  • Mashed in an infusion esky.
  • Grain placed in the esky and added water at 90 C to cover the grain.
  • The temp dropped quickly. Adjusted the temp to 68C and left for 2 hours
  • following starch test with iodine a further hour of mashing and adjusting the temperature was necessary.
  • Ran out the wort into boiler. Sparged the grain with water at 72 - 74 C
  • OG 1.062 was happy with this.
  • FG 1.022
  • Yeast Brew Cellar European Lager yeast. pitched at 20C and fermented in the shed at ambient temperature.
I plan on making this sometime soon. :icon_drool2:

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

If you are looking for a dark bock, the grain bill isn't really too important. As long as there is a fair portion of something other than pale Pilsner malt in there, at the correct gravity the beer will taste malty. More important is boil time and possibly decoction mash, with yeast selection also coming in to play.

Thanks guys this is one style ive been looking forward to for a long time!!!

Latest posts

Back