Look What Just Arrived Yesterday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi
It travelled first class across the Pacific blue waters all the way fome LA. Was hand delivered to me at the Kiama Market, the picture taken before it was opened and now being enjoyed.
No comments yet, but who has tasted this beer and post your comments, I think i know what the yeast is maybe someone knows more about this beer before i do a search.
BTW.
Its all mine.
http://ibunion.org/Club%20News.htm
Cheers
Ray

Nice Ray, shame you don't want to share it :lol: plenty of info on this beer in a copy of BYO a few months ago also I think Zymurgy did a story months ago as well. Must have cost you a fortune getting a whole case over here.

Cheers
Andrew

Nice Ray, shame you don't want to share it :lol: plenty of info on this beer in a copy of BYO a few months ago also I think Zymurgy did a story months ago as well. Must have cost you a fortune getting a whole case over here.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew
$20 Au and I dont even know the Hostest, just her friend. What pisses me off is she can bring some more back if i want it.
Ray

Half ya luck Ray.From memory i think there were some tasting notes of this beer from either Adelaide or Perth or maybe both.Maybe someone from either place may remember the postings or perhaps add there taste comments.

Cheers
Big D

Ray, you are a lucky man! I hope it's travelled well getting here. I dare say travelling 1st class, that it has ;)
Why does it piss you off that she can get more whenever you want?

Ray, you are a lucky man! I hope it's travelled well getting here. I dare say travelling 1st class, that it has ;)
Why does it piss you off that she can get more whenever you want?

Just an expression, I am looking at a huge range of beers at the moment she might be able to bring in. This is a bugger as there are so many Yankie beers to decide with. Think i might go through the Sierra Nevada range first.
Ray

ahhh, right. More range, not just more SNPA. now me understandie :lol:

Lucky $%#^@.

We got to taste one of these for our BJCP a few months back. Was absolutely awesome, and can only imagine how much better it would be when fresh.

I did a bit of research trying to find a recipe after I tried it. I got the link from here to a US forum, but buggered if I can remember where. What I do remember though is that someone apparently emailed the brewer for help in formulating his own recipe, and apparently the bloke answered that the hops were Magnum, Perle, and Cascade.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it. I'm sure I stashed the recipe somewhere for later.

Thommo.

Lucky $%#^@.

We got to taste one of these for our BJCP a few months back. Was absolutely awesome, and can only imagine how much better it would be when fresh.

I did a bit of research trying to find a recipe after I tried it. I got the link from here to a US forum, but buggered if I can remember where. What I do remember though is that someone apparently emailed the brewer for help in formulating his own recipe, and apparently the bloke answered that the hops were Magnum, Perle, and Cascade.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it. I'm sure I stashed the recipe somewhere for later.

Thommo.
Thanks Thommo and i am having a look around myself. Seing the yeast is in the bottle i will do a starter on the weekend.
ray

Keep us posted with the results Ray. Especially if you try to brew a clone. (Will you share that one with us???)

I haven't found the recipe yet, I'll post it up here if I do. (Could be on my computer at work.)

Thommo.

Hi
This recipe looks good, simple but good

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pale Ale--Laurel Style

General
Category: American Ale
Subcategory: American Pale Ale
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20 liters
Volume Boiled: 23.99 liters
Mash Efficiency: 72 %
Total Grain/Extract: 5.28 kg.
Total Hops: 56.0 g.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 211.7
Cost to Brew: $26.76 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.47 (USD)

Ingredients
4.8 kg. American 2-row
0.48 kg. Crystal Malt 40L
6 g. Yakima Magnum (Pellets, 14.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
20 g. Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
30 g. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Notes
.75oz Cascade @ 0
.75 oz Cascade Dry Hop

Vital Statistics
Original Gravity: 1.053
Terminal Gravity: 1.012
Color: 11.26 SRM
Bitterness: 43.8 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 5.4 %

--
Results prepared by BeerTools.com
http://www.beertools.com/

Looks like it could be good!

<search tags: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe Clone > :beer:
Tim.

Hey Ray !
You have a great opportunity to do a side by side tasting/comparison of SNPA against LCPA.
And post your notes.
Its an interesting comparison i have done before.

Barby at your place this weekend wasn't it ?

HBW

Heres the link to that US recipe.
SNPA Clone

I am brewing this beer Friday night. From the posts in that thread
it looks like this is a goer. :beerbang:

Hi Ray,

I lived in Los Angeles before moving to Melbourne about 3 years ago and have put down many cases of the stuff. I am a big fan of the beer and didn't really think about trying to clone it at the moment as I have been trying to work a wheat beer to my tasting. I may need to get onto this so I have some in time for summer.

Anchor Steam is another winner from California as well.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers :party:

Great score Ray, I drank plenty of it last year in Alaska and thought it was a really well balanced APA. I am almost certain the yeast is Wyeast 1056.

If you plan on trying the range the SN Celebration Ale is bloody good, I had it on draught in Anchorage and the freshness of the hops stood out really well.

The other beer of theirs I tried was the Porter and it too was excellent IMHO. See bottle on the left of the piccy.

C&B
TDA

Beer6.JPG

That's the one I was talking about Punter,

Excellent work.

I paid $8 for a stubbie of this from my local bottlo (Camperdown cellars) and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then i had some in LA - a 800mL bottle over there cost me $4 aussie or about $3 US. Then i understood what the fuss was about. If only LCPA was anywhere near as good.

Latest posts

Back