longest time fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pump21

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing, I put a brew in 2 days ago and I have been told I have to fly out to work tomorrow, what's the longest the brew can stay in fermenting, the wife dosntvseem to keen to bottle for me

What yeast? What temperature are you fermenting at? Are you fermenting in a temp controlled fridge or such? How long will you be away?

At two days , it wont be done...leave it
Do it when you return

It'll do 3-4 weeks without a problem*.....see numerous other posts re: ferment time; is it ready, should I bottle etc

*given appropriate temp control.

Ive got it in a walk in robe at about 22 all day, its a pilsener and I will be away for about a week

what's the longest the brew can stay in fermenting

Flanders Red 18 months plus.

pump21 said:
Ive got it in a walk in robe at about 22 all day, its a pilsener and I will be away for about a week
It will probably take about two weeks to ferment so all should be fine. You'll probably have some time to wait when you get back ;)

At 22C I'm guessing you might be using an ale yeast. As above should be fine until you get back.

I've made several sour beers (flanders, oud bruin) that fermented over a year. But I'm assuming that's not what the OP is making :)

The beer will be fine for months if there's no way for O2 to get in there. So, if you trust your airlock, no problem. If I was travelling for months, I'd put a few drops of veg oil in the airlock (with the water) to prevent it from drying out. If your fermentor is not completely sealed with a working airlock, longterm aging can be risky. The affects of oxidation are not good, and further there's always danger from airborne microbes, as well as fruit flies which carry acetobacter and will get you started on your first batch of vinegar.

After 6 months, dying yeast (lysis) can produce some nasty flavors (soy sauce, raw meat, similiar). The affect of cellular lysis might not be objectionable in a stout or other strongly-flavored beer, but in an amber or pale ale or certainly a pilsner it would be an issue.

Latest posts

Back