Local, Bottle Conditioned Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb83

Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen the "yeast from Bottle conditioned beers" site, and they are mostly foreign beers I haven't seen before.
Besides Coopers, does anyone know of any local Australian/NZ beers that have viable, primary stain yeast in their bottles?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi,

I've seen the "yeast from Bottle conditioned beers" site, and they are mostly foreign beers I haven't seen before.
Besides Coopers, does anyone know of any local Australian/NZ beers that have viable, primary stain yeast in their bottles?

Cheers,

Michael

think the mountain goat range do.

Most of the micros as few of them filter. You'll get a lot of US05 and SO4 though.

Not sure if the yeast is any good but there was a nice layer on the side of a 6 pack of Feral "Whites" that I lay on the side in the fridge.

how many aussie micros have the guts to go for real yeast flavour. apart from the wig n pen, beechworth, red hill and murrays. and colonial!

Wig & Pen uses dried in nearly all their beers......bloody good beers to boot :icon_drool2:

cheers Ross

Yes, I had that debate with Richard but yeah, he does make great beers. Colonial now no longer bother maintaining cultures... too hard. I don't think they bottle now either.

mb83
I am fairly sure that most micros would add a different strain at bottling than they do at primary. IIRC, LCPA uses a lager yeast as their bottling yeast. Alot of primary strains that give the flavour profiles breweries are after will also be a little too "loose" on the bottom of the bottle, think homebrew and that cloudy second glass. It is a rather large assumption, but I would assume that most filter their beer to get the clarity demanded by aussie drinkers, then either add in a very small portion of the primary yeast, or a small portion of another yeast that is very flocculant.
Your best bet will be to find some bottle conditioned local ales/lagers that you like, and email them, telling them you are a home brewer and would like to culture up the bottle yeast, and ask if they can tell you if it is their primary strain, or a bottling strain. They may tell you that it is a secret, but they may actually tell you for sure one way or the other. That would save alot of hassles of culturing up a yeast that either isnt suitable for the beer you are after, or you can buy dried for $3 or so a pack.
HTH
Trent

Trent, you're right about LC, but I doubt that many of the smaller micro/brew pubs would have the ability or the inclination to do this. Good suggestion giving the brewer a call.

Trent, you're right about LC, but I doubt that many of the smaller micro/brew pubs would have the ability or the inclination to do this. Good suggestion giving the brewer a call.

IIRC Murrays do.

Most of the micros I know don't. Argument is more work for the same return.

Some of the "pale ales" use a lager yeast in both fermentation and bottling! Why make 2 cultures when one is enough, although they ferment them warmer. You wouldn't pick it if you weren't told. WLP001 and US05 is very lager like.

Some breweries also choose a yeast that is highly flocculant to speed up the filtration and save filtering disposables. Easier to filter when it is almost bright to start with. Also has the benifit of a clearer bottle conditioned beer.

Often the process for bottle conditioning is filter as normal. Then add sucrose. Then pump in yeast from a fermentation. Then periodically agitate with CO2/Nitrogen to keep it mixed in the solution. I have seen a motorised agitator/paddle system in a bright beer tanks too. Depending on the brewery, some will pump in a lager, some an ale yeast.

Yes, I had that debate with Richard but yeah, he does make great beers. Colonial now no longer bother maintaining cultures... too hard. I don't think they bottle now either.
I was keen to try the Wyeast gluten free strains at the brewery but making a starter for a 36 hL batch all seems a bit hard, would need a dedicated setup just for that. Also when I tried them at home the results were not noticibly different to Fermentis yeast. Dry yeast is good, easy to use and quite a range to choose from now.

Back on topic, Mountain Goat use the primary strain in the bottle and iirc it's US05.

Cheers, Andrew.

For the record here at Murray's we filter our beer before bottling and then add yeast at priming. We use a blend of yeasts at bottling.

Shawn.

Good stuff Shawn. You guys are doing a great job.

Are Murray's exhibiting at Bitter and Twisted in Maitland?

Good stuff Shawn. You guys are doing a great job.

Are Murray's exhibiting at Bitter and Twisted in Maitland?

Thanks Dig.

I'll be there - looking forward to it. Bitter and Twisted was very full on but the most enjoyable of all the festivals/shows/tastings etc I did last year. Hope this year's is as good! Are you coming up this year?

Shawn.

Wicked Elf filter their APA and Pilsner, but the Wit is not filtered.
You can harvest their Wit yeast, as it is bottle conditioned with the original yeast / strain.

Thanks Dig.

I'll be there - looking forward to it. Bitter and Twisted was very full on but the most enjoyable of all the festivals/shows/tastings etc I did last year. Hope this year's is as good! Are you coming up this year?

Shawn.
Yes, I'll be there. Should be fun.

Latest posts

Back