LME Tins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisBrew

Reaction score
Hi, im only just starting my beer brewing days. been in the distilling world for a long time and now given that the flick and going the beer way. got a big PID,STC and SSR herms setup to use with grain one day (still needs to be wired up) but im starting at the basics.

Ive got a Tin of Morgans Pacific Pale Ale and a1kg of brew booster to putdown this weekend. I have some bottles at the moment, its alright but i feel it needs a small improvement.

im wondering if i can substitute the 1kg of brew booster for a 1.5kg tin of Morgans LME Caramalt? And if so how will it affect final ABV, would the wash volume still be 23L and would i need additional hops?

Looking for a way to increase flavour and keep around 5% ABV.

Cheers

You can sub the brew booster with the lme. Some will say you will get a better result. If it effects the abv then it will be minimal.
You shouldn't need additional hops but if you wanted to use some I would go with a hop with tropical notes and just dry hop in the fermentor.

Once you try all malt you'll never go back, smallest improvement you can make to your homebrewing.

Tend to agree with drew and brew... all malt and dry hopping along with good temp control and cold crashing have improved my beers by a good margin.

For the final abv get a copy of the extract spreadsheet and punch in the numbers.

Cheers guys, Next time ill grab a tin of LME instead of the brew booster and see how it goes.

the recipe calls for 23L ferment, adding the other tin of LME, could i make this 24l or 25l or would that be pushing the hops in the original tin too much? i wont dry hop yet, ill do a few practice runs with the basics so i can see changes in what i do/use then ill venture into hops

cheers

I wouldn't top up to more than 23l someone could correct me if I am wrong but I believe that 1.5kg of lme is equal to 1kg of dried lme. Sometimes I only top up 23l kits to 20l-22l

I wouldn't top up to more than 23l someone could correct me if I am wrong but I believe that 1.5kg of lme is equal to 1kg of dried lme. Sometimes I only top up 23l kits to 20l-22l
LME is about 80% solids, so 1.5kg of LME gives (1.5*0.8) = 1.2kg of solids
DME has very little water (<0.4%) or it goes hard,
So you will get a bit more extract from a 1.5kg of LME than from 1kg of DME, about 200g more, mind you, you would need a bloody good hydrometer to measure the difference when either are dissolved in 23L of wort.
In this case it would be less than 0.0035 points

LME is about 80% solids, so 1.5kg of LME gives (1.5*0.8) = 1.2kg of solids
DME has very little water (<0.4%) or it goes hard,
So you will get a bit more extract from a 1.5kg of LME than from 1kg of DME, about 200g more, mind you, you would need a bloody good hydrometer to measure the difference when either are dissolved in 23L of wort.
In this case it would be less than 0.0035 points
Thanks, that's good to know :) I closing in on my 50th brew and I have only used lme in two can 'n' kilo brews. I did do a pacific ale with a can of lme and a can of lmwe. I generally steer clear of dextrose (ex natural carb) and maltodextrin in favour of 1kg of dlme or even a mini mash every now and then. My brewing is a mixture of cans, fwk's and biab.

awsome, i wont go over 23L, wondering what the comparison is between coopers and morgans given morgans is a few $$ dearer than coopers. Is coopers alright? I just started on a mates suggesion

I have only used coopers but I would be interested to know what other brewers think.

I have only used coopers but I would be interested to know what other brewers think.
I am relatively new to brewing but have experimented with a few different Morgans and Coopers Kits. I find both to be pretty good provided I use a premium yeast such as US-05. My personal favourite is the Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA brewed with 1.5KG LDM and US-05 yeast. I ferment at around 18C for about 20 days. I dry hop with 25g each of Cascade and Amarillo about 5 days before bottling. As far as the Morgans kits go the Stockmans Draught brewed as a Little Creatures Pale Ale Clone is pretty good..... Can't remember the recipie off the top of my head but it is on the Morgans website I think!

Latest posts

Back